Entourage 2008 vs. Mail/iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildwizard99200, Mar 4, 2008.

1. wildwizard99200 macrumors member

Hello, thanks for clicking this thread.

I was curious which IMAP application is better to use to gmail. I like using mail for its RSS reader and its new mail counter (not sure if entourage has this) but I also like the "My Day" application as its sort of an easy planner.

However on entourage i like that the calender and mail, notes, to-do, and such are all on one application. But I'm not too sure which is better. Also, is the archives in entourage better than Mail.

P.S. I'm using mail and iCal on 10.5.

sorry if this doesn't make sense ^.^;;;

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I prefer Mail, iCal, etc., because they're light but powerful apps, and I don't always need all at once. Usually I just have Mail open all the time, which I wouldn't really want to do with Entourage. I'm a little biasd, as I'm not a fan of bloated MS applications in general. The Unix model is lightweight but powerful and focused applications, which I like. And Mail, iCal, and Address Book integrate with each other, so I really don't need them to be a single app, just like I like the integration of being able to add photos from iPhoto into iWork, but it would just be silly for those to be the same application. Really, it just depends if you're a fan of a single multifunction application, or several small, focused but powerful ones.

Edit: Oh, if it makes any difference, some people have had trouble with Mail.app and Gmail, but I have a Gmail account in Mail.app and have never had any problems with it.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Seems to me mail will always be better integrated into our Mac experience.

Furthermore, in the 30 hours I've owned Office 2008 it seems like a disaster.

4. pazreal macrumors regular

Another vote for mail mostly because of integration with everything else. I get emails for all types of meetings and classes etc. and the fact that it figures out the specifics of the meetings (time, place, and subject) and can make an iCal event for me on it's own is sweet. Mail also will sniff out contact info from the body of messages and throw that into Address book, etc.

Def. Mail (p.s. I have a .mac account, gmail, and my school's exchange mail all running flawlessly....although I think the exchange is actually running some sort of quasi-imap protocol)

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

6. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I am defiantly sticking with mail =). Thank you guys!!!

7. ConvergeX macrumors newbie

Entourage is Better - Allows you to create folders

I was using imail for a while until I recently needed folders to seperate some emails. I didn't need the smart mailbox feature I just wanted to sort them out myself because they weren't title specific. Anyways, Entourage creates easy access to create folders. If you want to know how to set up, go here: http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/11/connect_entourage_2004_to_gmails_imap_service.html

;)