Entourage and default mail app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lwmac, May 16, 2008.

1. lwmac macrumors newbie

Hello all, so I am a recent convert from Windows XP and am mostly loving my new MBP (10.5.2).

One thing that is really driving me crazy is the default mail app.

For example, I "Preview" a PDF and select File, Mail Document, it loads the Apple Mail app not Entourage.

Things I have checked:

Apple Mail App, Preferences, it is set to Entourage
    Entourage Preferences, select "Entourage as my default mail app"
    System Preferences, have tried Default Apps, MisFox and MoreInternet preferences addons they are all set to Entourage
    I have installed new 2008 SP1
    I have uninstalled Apple Mail
    Tried Automator and Scripts to send email, they all pull up Apple Mail

Does anyone have anymore suggestions? I am starting to think this is a major bug in Leopard.

Thanks LW

2. David2070 macrumors member

Tiger does exactly the same, so its not just a bug in Leopard. I've not yet worked out a way around this.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

While I can't recall trying this in Adobe or Preview, it works for me with Office documents on my Powerbook running Leopard. I tend to drag files I wish to email from the Finder to the Entourage icon.

Ok, just tried it with Adobe and it worked. Did not work with Preview, it searched for Mail, which I have removed.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's not a bug, its design behavior. There's default, then there's default, I guess. ;)

I use both Entourage & Mail as well, and either drag the file into the respective app or use the "Attachment" button. I just don't use the "Email" feature from within Apple apps unless I want Mail to get it. It's been this way as long as I can recall, I'm pretty sure 10.3 (& maybe earlier) handled it the same way.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's incredibly annoying, too! If the default is set to Entourage then it should be the default throughout the system. I really wish Apple would fix this :(

6. lwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I quite like the suggestion of dragging the file onto the Entourage Icon, that works nice. Would be very nice to have a right click, Automator action to mailto, I have tried some scripts but again it just load Apple Mail.

Very annoying IMHO

7. lwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Just noticed that Send Link in Firefox doesnt work either, doesnt seem to work with any mail client. Any other workarounds here?? TIA