Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I am considering switching my mail program over from Mail (in right now has over a thousand emails from GMAIL that are archived on their end) over to Entourage when version 2008 comes out) Is there a method of getting my old emails easily over to Entourage to get them over easily.

Or should I keep it easy and stick to mail despite the fact that I hate its junk mail filtering.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I am considering switching my mail program over from Mail (in right now has over a thousand emails from GMAIL that are archived on their end) over to Entourage when version 2008 comes out) Is there a method of getting my old emails easily over to Entourage to get them over easily.
As a user of Entourage 2004 everyday at work, I can assure you that Microsoft's communications client for MacOS X sucks. Mail and its companions Address Book and iCal work so much better. Office 2007 for Windows has been greeted with a great big "ho-hum." What makes you think that the MacOS X version will be any better?

Or should I keep it easy and stick to mail despite the fact that I hate its junk mail filtering.
Entourage has stupid junk mail filtering. Mail has just about the most intelligent and teachable filter on any platform. What is about Mail's junk mail filter that you don't like?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How come you want to move to Entourage? I thought that when you set up a new email with Entourage and Gmail it'll automatically get all the mail from the Gmail server?

Also, keep in mind you can't use both at one time unless you start it again each time and get every single email again and again.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
How come you want to move to Entourage? I thought that when you set up a new email with Entourage and Gmail it'll automatically get all the mail from the Gmail server?

It doesn't for me.

As to why. Unless I can understand how to get he filters working in Mail (which I have been unable to to as of yet) I wan to try something different.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Mail is so much better than Entourage. It's faster, being Universal, integrated into OS X, and it's got a much better UI. Address Book, iCal and Mail ftw.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Mail is so much better than Entourage. It's faster, being Universal, integrated into OS X, and it's got a much better UI. Address Book, iCal and Mail ftw.

I agree, but darn it if I can get it to handle mail properly. Why isn't there a white-list that doesn't involve me making entries in my address-book?

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Entourage is the work of the devil.

Ever try to recover a corrupt Entourage database with your umpteen billion contacts?

Good luck hacking that.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It doesn't for me.

As to why. Unless I can understand how to get he filters working in Mail (which I have been unable to to as of yet) I wan to try something different.
You appear to be laboring under the misconception that you have to program Mail's spam filter. You train it, not program it. It ships in training mode by default. The messages shown in brown are those that Mail's filter flagged as spam. If a flagged message is not spam, then select it and click Not Junk. If an unflagged message is spam, then select it and click Junk. In about two weeks depending on how many messages you receive, Mail's spam filter will be sufficiently accurate that you may take it out of training mode. A Junk Mail folder will appear in Mail's sidebar. You may check the Junk Mail folder from time to time to ensure that there are no false positives there. If a spam message gets through, then select it and click Junk. It will be sent to the Junk Mail folder. Mail's spam filter will continue to learn from your manual selections.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

With POP email, when you download the email from your client (i.e. Gmail) it gets deleted from the server.

It should do that with Mail too.

I'm a fan of Entourage - I love its functionality. Works great too. Can't wait for the 2008 version.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
Light twist to the thread...How do you set up Mail 2.1.1 to retrieve e-mails from Gmail? Can it be done as a POP account?

TIA

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I use mail at home and Entourage at work... And I hate entourage :( it's slow because it's not universal and it's interface sucks... But I have to work with it since our Exchange server at work has no IMAP support so Mail won't connect to it :( And I can't ask an admin to change it since there are no personal computers allowed and since it's a windows world here I can't say it's cause of my macbook...

Hate the program, really do :( want better exchange support from the native osx apps...

-----------
More on topic, first time you start Entourage you can import stuff from the osx apps.
Rather funny is the fact that you can't open (back-up) files made with Outlook on a pc... Gotta love Microsoft...

LMO

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
How would you go about this? I've always been told POP email deletes from the server when you receive it.
POP email servers are usually set up to store a relatively small amount of email, which has the effect of forcing you to store them at the client. However it is the client that sends the command to delete the email on the server. In Apple Mail you set that up under Preferences/Accounts/Advanced.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Mail all the way! I used to use Entourage because I had to with my schools email system. I pretty much said "screw you" to my schools email because it didn't work with Mail. So I signed up for Gmail, set it up through Mail, and never looked back.

I feel I am a much better person because of that. :)

In short, stay with Mail. Entourage is just way too complicated, and the interface is bulky and unattractive. (Wait, I just described every Microsoft product on the planet :eek: )

Cavemate K

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
I like using Mail and Address Book and iCal, but hate the fact that they're all seperate apps. I guess I got used to using MS Outlook at work and enjoy having all those features in one app. Do you folks think there's any chance that Apple will combine these apps into an all-in-one so I don't have to resort to Entourage? Thanks.

oxymoron2007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm hoping and praying Office 2008 is a whole lot better than 2004.

I'm forced to use Entourage to check my email and access my calendar because my school's exchange server doesn't support IMAP...boo! So I've been using Entourage and it basically sucks...especially the calendar category feature...the colors just look faded and washed out no matter which they are...and when I sync entourage and ical, syncing categories is not an option...

So i've decided to move exclusively to ical, forgo a sever-based calendar and just hope that mail in office 2008 is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.