Entourage databases keep crashing!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by austinsevo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. austinsevo macrumors regular

what causes them to crash? and how do i prevent it? i tried setting up a secondary identity that duplicates itself from the original. But when the Main one crashed it said the secondary one is corrupted too! and now its taking hours to rebuild...

outlook never had these issues....

2. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

also this is happening about once a month.. my mailbox is really big over 8gb on the exchange server. What can i do to stop these constant rebuilds?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not much unfortunately, it's a known problem with Entourage.

4. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

but what causes it?

also what are some good practices to keep it from happening?

5. mzbedelia macrumors newbie

Entourage crashes

I've rebuilt my database like 4 times...now it takes up a HUGE amount of memory on my HD. I downloaded GrandPerspective (freeware) from the Apple site and those files take up nearly HALF of my HD. I'm going to try and unload some of the prior versions, hoping i retain the one i need.
    Other Office 2008 programs seem to work fine, but Entourage is lame and unstable.

6. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

so what can i do to prevent it from crashing?

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It's impossible to answer your question without more details.

1. What version of Entourage are you using? (Go to the Entourage menu, then select "About Entourage" to specify the exact version.)
    2. What kind of crash are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot of what happens?
    3. Have you tried any of these troubleshooting tips?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

1. 2008 fully updated
    2. where it says the identity needs to be rebuilt and it has to go though 5 steps.
    3. yes

9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The Entourage MVPs have some great solutions for database issues. Try those to see if one of those works for you.

8 GB isn't too bad. My own Entourage database is more than twice that. :) I have been trying to do a few things to shrink the size of my database, though, including:
    * Cleaning out my deleted items about once per month.
    * Going through my sent mail occasionally, filing stuff that I want to keep, deleting the stuff that doesn't need to be kept.
    * If I'm feeling particularly keen (which is to say: if I'm stuck in an airport on a particularly long delay), I'll check to see which of my Exchange folders is biggest (control-click on your Exchange account, select Folder Properties, click on the Storage tab, and wait for it to populate -- it might take a couple of minutes since you've got so much data), and go through that folder to see if I can delete some stuff or move some of the contents to a local folder.
    * Moving things to local folders instead of my Exchange account. (Actually, this one and the previous one are more about keeping under my Exchange mailbox size limit than about Entourage database health, but I think of all of that as the same thing.)
    * If I haven't accessed a local folder in awhile, creating a backup .mbox file of it and then deleting the folder in Entourage.
    * Compacting my database about once per month.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

10. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

okay thank you very much.