Entourage hotmail failure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jono1990, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jono1990 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I've read a lot of forum posts about troubleshooting problems regarding setting up hotmail in Entourage. I've tried countless solutions but none seem to work in my case.

The problem seems to be that I can't send or receive mail (typical problem).

POP server is pop3.live.com and I've entered my hotmail address and password. The smtp server is smtp.live.com

I've tried many combinations of POP and smtp ports like,

110, 25 (respectively) Error message: -3259
    225, 25 Error message:-3259
    995, 25 -17897

I've also had Error message -16999 but I've forgotten which combination I had for that.

In advanced options for POP server, SSL and Secure Password is checked; for smtp server, SSL and require authentication are checked. I've tried using the same settings as mail server and also logging on using my Account ID and Password.

Also, I have a rule set up for send and receive every 1 minute (Entourage doesn't seem to like that; it wants me to do it every 15 minutes which isn't suitable).

It seems like I've exhausted all possibilities and I still can't send or receive my emails! The odd thing is that when I initially set up my hotmail account, it was able to download all the messages from the server without a hitch.

I really hope someone can help because this is stressful!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which version of Entourage are you using? Certainly Entourage 2008 will automatically setup your account settings for our Hotmail account. Try using the setup wizard rather than trying to manually setup your account.

3. jono1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, Entourage 2008.

I've tried both auto and manual set up, both to the same avail.

Maybe the problem will be resolved with my free upgrade to 2011 *shrugs*

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you live in a country where Microsoft has enabled POP3 access to Hotmail? FWIW, Outlook 2011 is really just Entourage 14.

5. jono1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I'm in Australia. That's why I'm so damn confused.

I'm using Mail.app at the moment which is like email for dummies. It doesn't seem to exhibit any problems hosting my hotmail account. Maybe I'll get on the Thunderbird bandwagon.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I know nothing about either the Ozzie version of Hotmail or of Entourage. In the USA, I have setup Hotmail both by hand and with the aid of the wizard in Entourage. Either way, it could not have been easier. That said, I would stick with Mail. The only reason to use Entourage is for compatibility with Exchange servers. This is why I use Entourage at work. At home where I have only OWA access to Exchange, it is Mail all the way.

I am curious why you are considering Thunderbird. I have several of my accounts setup in Thunderbird. I just don't get it. It is different enough to be noticed, but not better enough to make me appreciate the difference. To the contrary, Mail is better from where I sit. I see no opportunity for Thunderbird to change my mind.