Entourage to iCal to iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lerbi, Feb 20, 2009.

1. lerbi macrumors newbie

I use Entourage as my main calendar. I sync Entourage to iCal and from there to my iPod Touch. I don't use any categories in Entourage but iCal seems to grow with new Entourage calendars - there are six now - why I don't know. When everything syncs to my iPod through MobileMe, I end up with duplicate entries. For example, there are six entries for President's Day (each with a different colored button to the left of the entry. I've tried to uncheck (and then delete) all but one of the Entourage calendars in iCal, but they keep coming back. I'm sure that this is a simple problem but I can't figure out how to stop it. Can I sync Entourage and my iPod without using iCal? Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Turn off Sync Services in Entourage. Then reset the Sync Services folder. Then delete all of the iCal calendars. Finally, turn Sync Services back on in Entourage.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. lerbi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Is it necessary to sync in Entourage with iCal or will the iPod sync directly with Entourage through MobileMe? In other words, can I skip iCal?

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Short answer: you need to go through iCal.

Longer technical answer: Syncing on your Mac is dependent on a back-end database called The Truth. Anything that wants to sync with your Mac must write to The Truth. Anything that is written to The Truth is visible in iCal and Address Book. Entourage actually isn't writing anything into iCal, but rather to The Truth. It's just that iCal shows everything in there, so you see it when you're in iCal.

Regards,
    Nadyne.