Entourage to Mail import problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krx, Aug 11, 2009.

1. krx macrumors member

Just imported my mail from Entourage to Mail on my new MBP. Haven't used Mail before and it seems to have messed some things up...

One, the date sent has been changed to the time of the import for a whole bunch of my email (but not all). This is not good because I often search for what I need by date sent. I doubt this can be fixed now but is there a way to import that keeps dates intact?

Two, there are four main headings in my folder list: Mailboxes, On My Mac, Krx@ ... (my email address), and RSS. I would like my mail to be consolidated under one main heading. Is there a way to do this?

And three, Entourage apparently shutdown before completing the import so I need to do at least a partial import again. So having to re-import all of it wouldn't be much more work (tho it did take awhile). Is there a better tool for importing than the Mail import tool?

Thanks for any and all input!

2. krx thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll start over and re-import from Entourage to Apple Mail. Any suggestions for an import tool/method that works better than the one that comes with Apple Mail?

3. Alfie63 macrumors newbie

Switching from Entourage to Mac mail problems.

Hi there, I've decided to give up Entourage and switch to MacMAil and have set up Mac mail but the normal process of importing emails (Import Mailbox) is not working. I am being given an error message each time I try saying "unable to connect to Entourage". Entourage is open on my workbook and there seems no other option. Can ayone help please?

4. krx thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure there are fancier methods but if you have an imap account, and you've saved your email to the server (I believe there are options for this in Entourage account settings) than Mail will automatically download your mail from the server once your account is setup and online. This, however, doesn't preserve any of your filters or folders, etc.

The odd thing I found in doing this though is that there appears to be no way to eliminate an account on Mail. My import was botched (as described above) so I deleted the account and threw out the ~/library/Mail folder, but all my imported folders and mail remained. Tried restarting and it was still there. Deleted the Mail app and reinstalled the app from the install DVD and it was all still there - even still checking for email. Bizarre.

5. krx thread starter macrumors member

Case anyone searches this and wants to know, just got off the phone w/tech support and the date-stamp problem is a well-known one when importing from Entourage - and once done it can't be undone by downloading from the imap server (as I hoped). So... be warned.