Entourage VS Mac Mail for MSN Live Hotmail Premium Account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FriedPotatoes, Dec 30, 2008.

1. FriedPotatoes macrumors newbie

I have been reading around the forums but have not been able to find an answer to this carefully discussed subject:

Can I sync hotmail premium account (i.e. @msn.com address) with Mac Mail, which includes ALL custom folders that have been created, junk, deleted, and sent messages? You can certainly do this with Entourage 2008. I wish to use everything Mac, but have been experiencing problems i.e. Some messages not being downloaded, some being marked as un-read when they are really read, and custom folders not appearing in Mac mail.

I have configured my Mac Mail with what seems to be the agreeable settings using the MSN Live pop3 and smtp settings. However, I am still having problems as listed above.

I have not tried the HTTP plugin that some have reported to be useful for a number of reasons: I am using Leopard 10.5.6, plug-in may not work, and HTTP mail does not report Junk mail to MSN account. There is a patch for plugin so that it is compatible with 10.5.6, I know, but I do not want to keep updating a third-party plug-in once OS updates are installed, if possible.

So I am stuck. I do not want to change email addresses. I like MSN. I'm sorry gmail folks, but the gmail web interface seems a bit cluttered for my liking. Yes I know it's free, and I know a lot of your like it. But more importantly, changing an email address and reporting it to my contacts would be a pain.

Some advice would be great please. Thanks a lot.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't know if MSN Live offers IMAP service, but I would always use it rather than POP3 when given the opportunity. Messages are always synced between client and server, including deletions and moving between mailboxes. This synchronization also applies to multiple email clients, handy for my iMac, iPod Touch, and iBook.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

I could just say... get a gmail.... but i wont :D :eek: :apple:

by the way, if hotmail doesent support imap forget about Syncing anything

pop3 is PULL only so no syncing whatshowever! :eek:

as I said, just try gmail! :apple: