Entourage vs. Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~J~, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm curious as to the benefits of Mail vs. Entourage. I do basic mail things, nothing too advanced. I know that Leopard is coming with a Mail update. For now (and after the Leopard release), what do you use and why? What are the benefits of each? What are the down-sides of each?

2. andy5000 macrumors regular

i use Entourage over mail simply because i used outlook before and liked the integrated calender etc. i know i could use ical but being used to outlook it just seemed natural to use entourage.

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I use Outlook on a PC at work and used to use Entourage on my Mac.

I switched to Mail because I like it's simplicity. And Entourage was overkill for what I needed. I also really like iCal and prefer it over Entourage.

The one thing I don't like about Mail though is when sending a picture to someone. It puts the picture in the body of the message rather than keeping it as an attachment. I know there are shareware applications that allow it to stay as an attachment but I don't really want to have to buy something extra. I'm hoping this is 'fixed' in Mail for Leopard.

If you're used to Outlook, Entourage is great, but if you don't need all the bells and whistles and you just need to read your email, I prefer Mail.

Cheers.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Just bung the picture at the end.

This is no big deal and certainly not something which needs "fixing" or for that matter will be "fixed" by Leopard (sorry to disappoint).

Mail all the way. If you have an Intel Mac even more so, because Entourage is not yet a Universal Binary.

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I guess it's a matter of preference that's all. You're right though in that it's not something that's broken so it doesn't need to 'be fixed'.

I'd just like to see an option for adding it in line or as an attachment.

Cheers.

6. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Cant find the link right now but there is a solution for this problem if you search around a bit.

as far as I remember though...

- ticking off the "windows friendly attachments" feature in the preferences makes sure that Windows users can see the attachment as an attachment.

- Ctrl-T or Ctrl-T-click, or something like that will turn the picture back into an attachment.

7. Drile macrumors member

There are a lot of features of Mail that most people miss and just assume it is too simple of a program.

Although there are benefits to Entourage, I prefer Mail...especially if you have .Mac.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if the transition from Yahoo Mail Beta (regular user) to a .mac/mail app the same thing or are there more features on one side or another?

Beside the messenger.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the topic a little, just wondering what features Mail is or I'm really missing compare to what I have now...

9. Clarrie macrumors newbie

Having transitioned from PC to Mac I am using Entourage as a close relative of Outlook but would prefer to us Mail, if only I could work out how to add bullets, or numbered lists, to a Mail message. :confused: