Entries highlighting in Safari 4.0.3 after pressing -Return

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vader, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I just reluctantly upgraded to Safari 4.0.3 on Leopard after being on the Beta since it was released. I didn't want to go because I loved the "tabs on top," but I figured I will have to upgrade in Snow Leopard anyways, so I went ahead with the update.

Here's the thing that annoys me: With the update, I can's type something in the address bar, press ⌘-Return, then type another address. The address bar deselects when I press ⌘-Return. In the Beta, I could select the address bar, type an address, press ⌘-Return and the address bar would remain selected, with the entire address selected, allowing me to type another address immediately.

Was this some kind of setting I had? Has anyone else noticed this?

I know it is no big deal to have to double-click the address bar or single-click and press ⌘-A, but it sure was convenient to not have to before!

2. devburke Guest

Well I don’t think you can change that, but I can offer you one tip: cmd-L moves the focus to the address bar and highlights the whole thing. So after you press cmd-return, just press L before you release cmd.

How do you type a cmd symbol, btw?

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Thank you, that will do the trick for me!

I am finding the more I use the computer, the more I use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

For the ⌘: Long Method: System Preferences/International/Input Menu
    Check the box at the bottom to display the input menu in the menu bar.
    Click on the Flag->Show Character Palette->Technical Symbols->⌘

I am sure there is some keyboard shortcut, but I don't know it!

4. devburke Guest

Ah, I was hoping there was some simple way. You can also get it by going to Edit > Special Characters… (or ⌥⌘T) and searching for “place of interest sign”. I went through the entire keyboard holding ⌥ and ⇧⌥, but didn’t get it (ok, so now I’m just having too much fun with the special characters…) so I don’t think there’s a keyboard shortcut.