entry level iMac with 1TB HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lionsandwings, Feb 23, 2011.

1. lionsandwings macrumors newbie

I am going to upgrade from 4 year old 17" iMac. The computer is used for internet and iPhoto (not photo editing) and iTunes, no gaming, no video editing.

I am very comfortable with all of the specs of the $1,199 iMac EXCEPT for the 500GB HD. We have about 350GB used on our current computer and I don't want to have to worry about space.

I called Apple and they don't configure the low end with a 1TB (no surprise here).

I think my options are to either by the $1,499 model which includes 1TB, plus a slightly faster processor (which I don't think I will ever be able to notice) and better graphics card/memory? (again, not going to help me).

OR

Buy the 1,199 Mac, put in a 1TB (or even 1.5-2TB). I can get the HD installed at Best Buy for $50, plus another $100 for the drive, total cost is $1349. And I have an extra 500 GB HD laying around...

I know the difference is only $150, but that is an 11% price increase for virtually nothing (at least nothing in value to me).

My question is, am I missing something? :confused: Is there another reason to buy the $1,499 model?

The prices above are the retail prices, I will actually be paying a little less as I qualify for a corporate discount.

Any help is appreciated...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

For an iMac why not just buy firewire external HD? I have two of them hooked up to my iMac for storage.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Buy the refurb of the $1499 model @ $1269.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC509LL/A?mco=MjEwNTc0ODc

Cheers,

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Get a refurb, period. You'll save a ton (or pay the same and get better specs) and you still get the same warranty, and the mac and all items are no different than brand new, same packaging (minus box) and all.

I bought a 27" i3 base model and for the same price got the i5 quad core with upgraded graphics (matters to me lol),

5. lionsandwings thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go the external HD route, how do I back it up? To a 2nd external HD running time machine? I absolutely need a back up (I have lived through a HD failure in the past).

If I move my iPhoto library to an external HD, how is the speed accessing it? Will I notice much of a difference then if the library is on the internal HD?

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I also say hit the refurb store and get the upgraded 3.2 model and get your 1TB drive with a cpu boost as a bonus.

I just got my i7 and saved $300 vs what I would have paid in the store.

7. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope the next upgrade will have the low end iMac get 750GB or 1TB at the very least!

8. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

It's future proofing your machine. You might not notice the performance now, but things change, plus, if you ever want to sell the machine, more people will want the faster processors.