Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Have read a few complaints about 4K videos stuttering on YouTube with dropped frames, etc.

My main reason for buying a Mini would be to move into the 4K world (which I see as the biggest leap in computing since the SSD).

Anyone have direct experience running a 4K monitor from this sumbitch?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get 16gb of RAM instead of 8.
For 16gb, it's easier just to order it pre-installed (the cost difference between that and doing-it-yourself isn't that great).

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
Get 16gb of RAM instead of 8.
For 16gb, it's easier just to order it pre-installed (the cost difference between that and doing-it-yourself isn't that great).
Agree, but anyway in ~4 years you'll have to disassemble it for thermal paste reapply. Mini is not that hard to take apart, to be honest, if compare it to a macbook pro 13"...

Reactions: 0989382

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
What's the point of running 4K movies in 2K?

I'm running 4k monitor scaled 2x (1080p), running youtube / twitch without any stuttering.
[doublepost=1552328748][/doublepost]Mini will handle multiple 4K movies without a hitch. This since h265 and h264 both have hardware support. If streamed 4K stutters it is probably network related.

Have read a few complaints about 4K videos stuttering on YouTube with dropped frames, etc.

My main reason for buying a Mini would be to move into the 4K world (which I see as the biggest leap in computing since the SSD).

Reactions: EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
What's the point of running 4K movies in 2K?

He’s using OS scaling. Videos play in 4K.
[doublepost=1552342011][/doublepost]
Mini will handle multiple 4K movies without a hitch. This since h265 and h264 both have hardware support. If streamed 4K stutters it is probably network related.

Thanks.

Funny that some people are telling me to get 16GB RAM while others are telling me the entry-level is fine.

This should be a simple yes or no question:

Do you have the entry-level mini? Y/N?

Does it drop frames when playing 4K YouTube? Y/N?

Reactions: Dr. Stealth

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
He’s using OS scaling. Videos play in 4K.
[doublepost=1552342011][/doublepost]

Thanks.

Funny that some people are telling me to get 16GB RAM while others are telling me the entry-level is fine.

This should be a simple yes or no question:

Do you have the entry-level mini? Y/N?

Does it drop frames when playing 4K YouTube? Y/N?
It isn't always a simple yes or no answer. A lot of it depends on one's usage. And even that can have unforeseen variables.

If you want to try and make sure you don't hove any problems, spend the extra money and get the factory 16GB.

Reactions: ixxx69

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland

So much of this is about your network connection and whether you’re using Ethernet or WiFi.

I’m in New York, not known for having the world’s fastest internet. I generally use WiFi. I’ve only used YouTube’s free service. When 4K Youtube was still available, I got stuttering on a 5K iMac that has a solid state drive and 32GB of RAM, and on a solid state MacBook that has 16GB of RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: ixxx69

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
would a egpu help with playback. Does a egpu work work with every application like a gpu in a desktop/

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
It isn't always a simple yes or no answer. A lot of it depends on one's usage. And even that can have unforeseen variables.

What does this mean?

The entry-level Mini either drops frames while playing 4K YouTube videos or it doesn’t. It’s a yes or no question.
[doublepost=1552369664][/doublepost]
So much of this is about your network connection and whether you’re using Ethernet or WiFi.

I’m in New York, not known for having the world’s fastest internet. I generally use WiFi. I’ve only used YouTube’s free service. When 4K Youtube was still available, I got stuttering on a 5K iMac that has a solid state drive and 32GB of RAM, and on a solid state MacBook that has 16GB of RAM.

Sounds like you are describing buffering. Dropped frames and stuttering are more hardware issues.

LoopsOfFury

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
California
I didn’t notice any problems testing 4K YouTube videos with the base level Mac Mini on my 4K TV last Sunday, but haven’t really used it since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.