iPod Environmentally friendly packaging...LMAO

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
160
0
nice logic.

make the packaging smaller so it's more environmentally friendly.

...yet apple continues to release new ipods every year. what do they think is happening to the actual ipod itself which people are replacing? let's face it...with over 75% market share, the majority of new ipods being sold are going to existing ipod owners.

the obvious reason for the smaller packaging is to allow apple to fit more ipods on the shelves...more environmentally friendly...LMAO.
 

Viking Quest

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
49
0
kevinliu4 said:
nice logic.

make the packaging smaller so it's more environmentally friendly.

...yet apple continues to release new ipods every year. what do they think is happening to the actual ipod itself which people are replacing? let's face it...with over 75% market share, the majority of new ipods being sold are going to existing ipod owners.

the obvious reason for the smaller packaging is to allow apple to fit more ipods on the shelves...more environmentally friendly...LMAO.

Your life must be exhausting.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
kevinliu4 said:
nice logic.

make the packaging smaller so it's more environmentally friendly.

...yet apple continues to release new ipods every year. what do they think is happening to the actual ipod itself which people are replacing? let's face it...with over 75% market share, the majority of new ipods being sold are going to existing ipod owners.

the obvious reason for the smaller packaging is to allow apple to fit more ipods on the shelves...more environmentally friendly...LMAO.
I don't understand your point yet. Is there a problem with new iPods coming out yearly?...
 

j26

macrumors 65832
Mar 30, 2005
1,504
18
Paddyland
Well, smaller packaging means more iPods per pallet, lower shipping requirement, and hence lower emissions from transportation (and costs as a bonus for Apple).

There's also less material used.

I wouldn't call it environmentally friendly, but it's an improvement. Notice that the MacBook box is also much smaller than the old PowerBook one. iWork is in a small box, as is Tiger. Apple are moving towards using less packaging in general, which is a good thing for everyone.


And most people I know recycle electronics (either through selling, or if it's at the end of its life, through the usual recycling channels). In Ireland you actually pay a fee upfront when buying the product to cover the cost of recycling it at the end of its life.

Apple is not responsible for fools that dump it in a bin.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
j26 said:
Apple are moving towards using less packaging in general, which is a good thing for everyone.
Yep. Just because Apple profits from reducing packaging size, it doesn't mean that Apple isn't being [more] environmentally friendly. Positive extranality associated with cutting costs. For the OP: Why hate what makes everyone happy?
 

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
1,039
8
In one of the recent issues of The Economist, it states that Apple is one of the most unfriendly if not the unfriendliest high tech hardware producers in the grp which included the likes of Sony, HP, Dell, Nokia, etc. Nokia topped w/ the best score. It's sad, but true.
 

gog

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
100
0
Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
But wait... apple is unintentionally an environmental do-gooder!

Just think of those hundreds of millions of little cds and their packaging that haven't been made now that apple is driving internet music purchasing. That is quite a number.

And now they're going to do the same thing with DVDs.

And because they are driving everything in this direction, the eventual cumulative effect will be much less waste. Not to mention less CO2 production from shipping all that stuff all over the world, and not having to drive to the movie store to rent movies.

Surely that is worth something, even if a few ipods do get thrown out here & there.
 

ehayut

Suspended
Jun 29, 2005
96
0
gog said:
Just think of those hundreds of millions of little cds and their packaging that haven't been made now that apple is driving internet music purchasing. That is quite a number.

And now they're going to do the same thing with DVDs.

And because they are driving everything in this direction, the eventual cumulative effect will be much less waste. Not to mention less CO2 production from shipping all that stuff all over the world, and not having to drive to the movie store to rent movies.

Surely that is worth something, even if a few ipods do get thrown out here & there.
Agreed. I support the online music business model specifically for this reason.
 

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
274
3
London, UK
Yeah, I found his statement to be a bit of a stretch. But perhaps it has to do with the recent study where Apple was found to be one of the least environmentally friendly companies. I'm not sure if it was restricted to just computer companies, but Dell was high on the list.


I bet he just wanted to show that they're doing something about it. Even if it is small and doesn't need to be noted.

-Matt
 

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
1,628
0
kevinliu4 said:
nice logic.

make the packaging smaller so it's more environmentally friendly.

...yet apple continues to release new ipods every year. what do they think is happening to the actual ipod itself which people are replacing? let's face it...with over 75% market share, the majority of new ipods being sold are going to existing ipod owners.

the obvious reason for the smaller packaging is to allow apple to fit more ipods on the shelves...more environmentally friendly...LMAO.
I dont think you understand the concept of marketshare