envisioning iChat on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Mar 7, 2008.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

Do you think iChat on the iPhone could be just as cool as it is on my Mac Book Pro running Leopard? When I chat with other Leopard users, I have a totally cool interactive videoconference over my internet connection. (Have you ever listened to music on iTunes together while camming with a friend on iChat? Totally fun.) If iChat were added to the current iPhone, do you think there could be a similar experience? Do you think I would be able to videoconference with audio with another iChat user? (Ah but the camera is on the back - I guess that's one thing that would need to change.) Do you think this is something you'd need the 3G phone for to pull off? If my laptop can do it over my wireless network, why couldn't an iPhone or even an iPod Touch once iChat is added? I just think it would be so cool to be holding an iPhone and using the mic and speakers and camera to videoconference. Who wants to type when you can just talk? And why make a phone call when you can use iChat?

2. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

I definitely agree that the video iChat would be awesome, but as you said, i dont think it would be as user friendly having the camera on the back and the slow edge network. But, I am hoping the 3G will have a camera on the front, while having enough battery life and data speed to hold a long video conference....

3. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

4. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

Yah, this is one of the best IM apps out there right now, but still would love to have the ability to have video chat as well.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

As srent5 pointed out, iPhone will need both hardware and software revision to accommodate iChat. It will need (1) a camera on the front-side and (2) 3G (for video/audio conferencing and voice calls) or EDGE class A (for allowing voice calls while in IM session).

It is also worth noting that iPhone will not allow applications such as AIM to run in the background (switching to different app or clicking home will quit the app).

6. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Might this be something that will change with iPhone Firmware 2.0?

7. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no this won't change, thats how apple wanted it.

And doing this on the touch would take a whole lot of hardware additions.
    1. Speaker
    2. Mic
    3. Camera (front and back?)

If this does happen with the new iPhone, I can see the touch being that much more crippled.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Apple will let AIM run in the background. There's no doubt about it.

And as some developers have already found, all it takes is changing one line of code to allow an app to run in the background.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This was something I envisioned way back in the late 1990s as the way of the future - users would be able to videoconference on their cellphones from ANYWHERE...well, the technology is here, and we are very close to having that. Once the iPhone has been updated to use 3G and beyond, bandwidth will be capable and once the iPhone has video capture capability, this may become reality - video iChat mobile. It would be nice to have the capability anywhere, but as we know our hi-bandwidth service is limited to within urban areas right now. (remember the Iridium, people could use the satellite phone from the South Pole). I have seen the specs showing that 3G HSPDA (I think this is right) is scalable to much higher bandwidths

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sure, you can get around it, but it goes against apple's rules of using the SDK...

12. cupofjoe macrumors regular

If you don't think they're gonna allow some apps to run in the background, you're severely misguided.

13. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I wouldn't be so sure of this... Even though Apple is reconsidering it, they did originally say:

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The point is, AIM is made by AOL.
    Apple will let AOL do things they won't let you and me do.