EOS 7D or HMC150

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pmasters, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pmasters macrumors member

Is the 7D a camera that could replace something like the HMC150 or only used to support it? I heard about concerns with the audio on the 5d II but supposedly these were addressed on the 7D. Does the 7D have XLR inputs or will it require an adapter?

Should I decide between one or the other or is it wiser to purchase both?
    Thanks.

2. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

The 7D, like the 5D and the 1D is a STILLS camera that just happens to shoot VIDEO. It does not have XLR ports, it has gnarly auto gain feature that while can be changed through hacked firmware, the new firmware hack can brick your device and is far from perfect. It has weird ergonomics because you know its a STILLS camera and it requires a terrible amount of stabilization to make it really sing.

With that said its image quality blows nearly every consumer video quality out of the water. With the right lenses you can get terribly shallow depth of field that will dazzle viewers, superb low light abilities your HMC 150 couldn't even dream of, and a wider dynamic range. I'm personally getting a 7D but you know its up to you. If you can get both, IF YOU'RE BALLING LIKE THAT, grab em both.

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Currently I own both an HMC-150 and Canon 7D. The 7D video and lens options are superb. Recording time is limited. Recording time with XLR inputs are only a few advantages the HMC-150 has over the 7D.

Since owning the 7D for about 2 months. Its my favorite camera. Every new project I find myself shooting with the 7D. You will need to buy some added support and good lenses to really take advantage of the technology but it's still inline with what you would spend on a HMC-150.

Here's what my kit started with;
    Canon 7D
    2 - Canon LP-E6 Batteries (one battery is included in kit)
    1 - 32GB Kingston CF
    1 - Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II (about $99) cheap quality but fast lens.
    1 - Canon 28-135mm 4-5.6 (you can find kits that include this)

From there I've been doing a lot of reading and experimenting with lenses at my local camera shop.

Here's a test video I shot with the camera. I was mainly trying to see how it would perform in different lighting situations.
    http://www.vimeo.com/7460192

4. CreativeP macrumors newbie

7D versus HMC150

I managed to get my hands on a 7D during a recent studio shoot and I must say the quality and creativity options are fantastic.

I usually shoot with a Sony EX3 after upgrading from a Canon XLH1 and Im not sure I made the right decision, the only reason I went for the Sony was to move away from logging and tapes, I have always loved the Canon lenses and find it hard to make the switch.

That said and back to your question the 7D will give you so much more creative flexibility over the HMC when it comes to manual control and the vast range of L series lenses that you can use, however there is a big compromise and that lays with the audio capabilities XLR to jack convertors are something I have never been comfortable with, and as darknight points out it can be a strange camera to hold but use of a FIG rig makes this an awesome highly flexible piece of kit to compete with just about anything out there when it comes to optics and scope for creativity.

So to sum up if you looking for a creative piece of kit you do not mind spending on the cost of Canons L series lenses and your comfortable with the limited audio then its the 7D all day long, if however you want a capable out of the box camera with good but not outstanding performance all round then the HMC range is a safe bet.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Barry Green has a good article on DVXUser.com talking about the practical differences between using DSLRs for video vs using video cameras for video. The main focus of the article itself is a comparison between the 7D and the GH1 but he does talk a fair amount about what you can expect if you are moving from a video camera to a DSLR for video work.

Long story short, if the 7D meets your needs and it's short comings are not deal breakers for you then the camera is probably a good match. But that is true for any camera and especially true for lower cost cameras since, generally speaking, the less the camera costs the more compromises have been made to get it to that price point.

Lethal

6. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"Is the 7D a camera that could replace something like the HMC150 or only used to support it?"

Could it replace the HMC? Yes, it could. Should it replace the HMC? IMO...No, it should be used WITH the HMC as another tool.

"I heard about concerns with the audio on the 5d II but supposedly these were addressed on the 7D. Does the 7D have XLR inputs or will it require an adapter?"

Your question has been answered on the XLR jacks and the AGC undefeatable. However...if you've been shooting video for a while, you also are most likely used to second system audio recording...Zoom, Tascam, Sony, et al. make great portable, solid state, 4 channel sound recorders with XLR and built in mics. Certainly not a deal breaker on buying a camera in my opinion...buy the camera for the video...Best sound is NEVER recorded to the camera.

"Should I decide between one or the other or is it wiser to purchase both?"

Can you afford both? If so, sure...buy 'em:) But, as mentioned, there is more to it than just buying the cameras. Support, audio, media, mics, light, cords, Pelicans and stands....the list goes on. Obviously, you need to buy glass if you opt for the 7d...and you will defeat it's low light possibilities by going for anything less than 2.8...and much faster in the case of primes. There are, however, a nice range of "used" Nikon glass (Primes) that can be fit to your Canon with a lens mount.

If it was me (and I, too, shoot 5d2/7d HVX200a/EX-1 combos)...I personally would start with the 150 and all of the necessary support, light and media to get it up and running. You'll be a happy shooter initially...where as the 7d can be a frustrating assignment (shooting video) in the beginning:) (and that's an understatement).

I love my DSLRs...but, while they do have strengths that are hard to replicate in anything other than VERY expensive cinema cameras and lenses...the negatives far outweigh those strengths while getting up to speed on making the camera work for you. These DSLRs do not focus on their own...and they are damn near impossible to keep stable handheld...viewing the LCD is an act in and of itself trying to run and gun....and lighting, audio, etc... Well, you get the picture:) Don't want to disuade you from the purchase, but rather, warn you that the footage you see...online that looks great, took a LOT of work to get it that way:)

Good Luck!
    jer

7. Camerent. macrumors newbie

Id agree with AKDJ on this one, I love the 7D and 5D but I am lucky enough to have access to lovely L series lenses that I havent had to pay hard cash for, along with the lack of XLRs the BIG BIG problem here for most new users of DSLRs for video is trying to focus and as AKDJ points out the lack of a nice adjustable LCD witch is easily overlooked just imagine having to have your camera at eye level for everything you shoot, you will certainly ache in places you never thought possible after a few hours.
    That said great results can be had in fact breathtaking results can be had but skill and patience is required.

Camerent

8. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Ergonomic issues are fixed with a good rig and monitor. All which cost MULLAAA.