Eos5mkII + Lipsync.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macinposh, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,in short.

Doing a shoot in few weeks with the e5mkII,and have had so many contradictionary comments on this one.So I am fishing out a bit here...

Shoting in 30fps,as mandatory.
    But what I have read (and spoken) to, people have done the 30->25fps (pal) via : cine, compressor, have not done anything but have exported the fotage on 25 and then synced etc..

So.

I am not shooting for britney spears or anything,and I am getting more feedback in couple of days,but still.
    Wouldnt it be easiest to shoot normally, transfer the fotage to 25p/pal, edit, and export as "required"?

Am I (again) missing something here? How the heck can you have 3 different peeps giving 3 different advices?

A big smilie here.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why would you shot in HD and then convert the footage to PAL, which is SD?

And converting the footage to the framerate of your choice also depends on the end product, meaning what is the final medium it will be delivered to.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

What do you mean PAL is SD?

PAL is just the name for a type of regional display mode, namely Europe.

You can get HD PAL footage...!

4. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry for being a bit vague here.
    shooting a music video here so the materiel would be synced to the song.

i will edit in 1080p.
    but I was thinking if I would convert the materiel to 1080p/25fps and then,when neccessary downsize it to pal (625/25p) for normal sd broadcasting.

Just not so accustomed to this kind of workflow,so I would be hesitant to do the edit/sync at the 30fps as it probably would cause issues in the long run.
    Am I on the right track here?

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

my advice... choose a camera that actually shoots your delivery framerate.

6. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope.
    Too easy.
    :)

Videos shot with mkII are on the air on the music channels constantly,so somebody has sorted out their workflow...
    It is a bloody good rig when you get things sorted.Wich I am trying to do...
    I did the test shoots with mkII+kinomatik rig+hdmi display and it was very,very nice to work with.And the result..mm...

So I am now just trying to get my ***** together on this one,please,bear with me!

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Really?

PAL means Phase Alternating Lines and refers to the interlaced footage needed for proper display on old CRT television sets in a world (Europe with exceptions, other countries) with a 50Hz current.
    PAL (developed by Walter Bruch, an alumnus of my university) is described with set parameters, including the "resolution", here called vertical lines. There are 625 available, 313 for one field, 312 for the other field. 50 fields combined will get you 25 frames.

Current HD record and broadcast standards don't use PAL, they have their own standard. Of course, the framerates and interlaced scanning are still exisiting, but calling HD PAL is confusing, as PAL describes something else than HD does.

So maybe it's just a marketing scheme, or I'm just out of touch to long with all that fancy stuff called television, but if you have an explanation I'm more than inclined to hear it. I don't have a problem being wrong (or at least I still have to learn it), so if you have other information I'm not aware about, please tell me.

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I stand corrected!
    ;)