Epic Games previews: "Epic Citadel" (Project Sword)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aleco, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Aleco macrumors regular

Epic Games previewed progress on their new game, Codename "Project Sword." Later after the small demonstration they released a map demo, where you can walk around and see the breathtaking graphics yourself.

I took some pictures, thought I should share. It is quite amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download now from iTunes

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Holy ****.

EDIT: Just downloaded the app and tried it out. STEP ASIDE SONY AND NINTENDO.

If Epic can implement controls right, games like these could make dedicated handheld game consoles obsolete.The controls so far work pretty well for looking around and walking.

3. Aleco thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think the controls just take some getting used too like most. However, I believe they speeded up the "walking" in this game for a convenience towards the app users.

4. Hemmo macrumors regular

there is allready topic about this on iphone/ipad forum.But that tech demo is crazy cool ,its amazing this looks better than obivlion on ps3 ?! on a ffing phone?!

i hope they put gyro controls on that game (some rpg if i heard right)

5. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I think this settles the debate on which has the more power. PSP or iPhone?

C.

6. elainor macrumors newbie

i do feel a lil laggy on this game running on iphone 4 with only an app which is this...anyone feel this too?is it normal??or there is a faulty proc in my ip4?help please thanks!!!

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I downloaded today on my iPad and this game has really amazing graphics. I couldn't believe that the iPad was capable of such graphics!

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the full game. Controls do take some getting used to however.

10. Hemmo macrumors regular

i only noticed some lagging in that video on the begining of the game and some places where you can see far far away(nice drawing distances i must say)

"Controls do take some getting used to however" I think those controls arent there to stay, i think they are going to use nowdays normal gyro fps controls atleast i hope so.

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The graphics look great, but like the Rage Demo there isn't much else going on in the game world. It will be interesting if the performance can be kept up with other AI characters and possibly human players on screen.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

The iPad is a bit faster then the iPhone, so I expected it to run well; however, what really impressed me was how well a 3GS looks and runs. It's not quite up to the speed of the A4 devices, but it's still very detailed and has good anti aliasing.
    I can't wait for a real game to use this engine.
    BTW - Unreal on the iPhone will be more important than Tech5 simply because epic will license it, unlike Bethesda.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You mean ZeniMax. Correction: ID says they are licensing ID Tech5, but you have to get your game published through Bethesda Softworks.

14. err404 macrumors 68020

What epic and ID considered "licensing" aren't really the same thing if Bethesda is required to oversee your content and distribution.

15. supertonic macrumors member

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm not surprised, Epic Games is amazing! They set a new standard for graphics with Gears of War on Xbox 360 back in 2006, and now they're setting a new standard for graphics on mobile devices. The environments look awesome, I can't wait until the full game is released.

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

;)

Finally, could this be the start of some decent hardcore gaming? :D

19. xdhd350 macrumors 6502

I handed my ip4 to the wife to show her just how good the screen can look since she also has an ip4. It took 30 MINUTES to get my phone back. She couldn't stop walking around and looking. She isn't into gaming so this was quite the testament to the gorgeous graphics they have in this demo.

My nitpicks are that the music bed loops are too short and get repetitive to the ears. And why are those lamps lit in the township area when it's sunny and daytime?

20. Hemmo macrumors regular

I quess Back in the middleages they didnt have any concerns about environment so the dont care how much they use oil on their oil lamps :)

21. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

One thing i noticed, if this game is set in medievil times, then why is there a plane streak in the sky? LOL

[​IMG]

22. nednarm macrumors 6502

wow this game looks incredible. I can't wait for more games to use unreal engine. It's crazy how crisp the sky looks.

23. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

That's not a plane streak.

It's a Pterosaur recycled gas emission.