Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games has won its antitrust lawsuit against Google, after the nine-member jury in the case unanimously agreed that the tech giant abused its power by operating an app store monopoly and charging developers unduly high fees.

fortnite-mobile-100-million-hero.jpg

The unanimous verdict came after three hours of deliberation following a four-week trial looking into Google's Play store. Among Epic's allegations were that Google illegally tied together its Play store and Play Billing payment services, leaving developers having to use both for their apps to be included in the store.

Google collects a commission ranging from 15% to 30% on transactions completed within apps, similar to how Apple takes its App Store fees.

The jury also agreed that Google's distribution agreement with developers was anticompetitive, and that Epic had been unfairly stifled by the company's behavior by forcing its own billing system on developers. The trial was brought by Epic against Google in 2020 for removing Fortnite from the Google Play Store, after Epic allowed players to bypass Google's in-app purchase system.

The reasoning in the jury case was not revealed, but in a statement on its website, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said the verdict "proves that Google's app store practices are illegal and they abuse their monopoly to extract exorbitant fees, stifle competition and reduce innovation."

Sweeney added that the jury had seen "evidence that Google was willing to pay billions of dollars to stifle alternative app stores by paying developers to abandon their own store efforts and direct distribution plans, and offering highly lucrative agreements with device manufacturers in exchange for excluding competing app stores."

Google said it would appeal. "We will continue to defend the Android business model and remain deeply committed to our users, partners and the broader Android ecosystem," said Wilson White, vice-president of government affairs and public policy at Google.

The ruling could have profound implications for digital app store regulation, particularly within Apple's App Store. Apple won a similar case against Epic in 2021. Rather than a jury made up of consumers though, that ruling was made by a single judge.

Epic has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to revive key claims in the Apple case, and Apple is fighting part of a ruling for Epic regarding Apple's "anti-steering" rule that bars developers of many iOS apps from directing users to methods of purchase available outside of the ‌App Store‌, circumventing Apple's revenue cut.

The Supreme Court will decide in the coming months whether it will hear either or both of Epic's and Apple's appeals, but if it does not take up either petition, the previous rulings will stand.

Article Link: Epic Games Wins Antitrust Lawsuit Against Google Play Store

Reactions: AppZ.Zero

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
This benefits Apple in that Google if appeals fail etc will have to renegotiate their deal with Apple and most likely the new terms (which will be worked around to be legal compliant) will be more favorable to Apple because Google will need Apple more than ever

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple is next
I have been looking at the discussion over at Theverge and Ars Technica and consensus is that it would not be easy to overturn the judge's decision favouring Apple. It seems that Google made a mistaken of opting for a jury, and their second mistake was claiming their OS was open, only to engage in secret backroom deals that made it effectively everything but.

In contrast, Apple has never been an open ecosystem, nor have they ever pretended they were, so they didn't need to do any of these shenanigans like bribe companies to not develop rival app stores for Android, or give Spotify special treatment just to stay on the play store. You can't break the law if those were the laws (however unreasonable) in the first place.

It's quite funny really. Apple set the tone and the expectations right form day one with a firm "NO". In contrast, Google tried to play the nice, magnanimous guy, only to find out that it was actually bad for business, and then went about bribing everyone left and right to prevent everything falling apart.

What do you know? Contrary to popular opinion in the early 2010s, looks like Apple made the right call all along. Closed ecosystem, differentiated experience made possible by control over hardware, software and services, and more importantly, the willingness to sacrifice market share for profits. :)

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
give Spotify special treatment just to stay on the play store
What special treatment? >Im curious
What do you know? Contrary to popular opinion in the early 2010s, looks like Apple made the right call all along. Closed ecosystem, differentiated experience made possible by control over hardware, software and services, and more importantly, the willingness to sacrifice market share for profits.

And this is why I enjoy closed/proprietary ecosytems. Because they are focused on bringing out and building a solid ecosystem and not just throwing any product out for the sake of saying they are the dominant player.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple is next

Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft should be next.

I'm pretty sure those platforms collect 30% of every purchase regardless of whether you buy stuff at GameStop, Walmart, or from the online platform stores.

If Apple and Google are prohibited from collecting "unduly high fees" then other platforms should be prohibited too, right?

This should be interesting...

😋

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Google allowed Spotify to keep 100% of their subscription revenue in order to ensure that Spotify played nice with their platform. It's debatable whether who needs whom more, but Google was evidently scared enough of Spotify possibly trying something that might have a negative impact on Android.

In contrast, Apple released their own music streaming service, and worked to integrate it with Siri and their line of AirPods, effectively causing Spotify to lose any leverage they may have had on iOS. I don't know what Google thought they were trying to accomplish with Youtube Music, but it continues to be a disaster in my opinion.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
All this proves is that winning isn’t about being legally correct, it’s about convincing a jury that you’ve been wronged.

If Epic was legally correct, they would’ve won in the Apple case too. They didn’t, because, in that case a judge ruled, not some overly emotional jury pool who, in out political climate of “the victim is always right”, sided with the perceived “victim”.

Added Note: I recognize there are differences in the Google case. However, the discussion here is about Apple being next or that Apple will fail in this battle due to monopolistic practices. Apple’s position has won on Appeal giving it legal standing.

Last edited:

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal

And this is why I enjoy closed/proprietary ecosytems. Because they are focused on bringing out and building a solid ecosystem and not just throwing any product out for the sake of saying they are the dominant player.
Here is a article about the deal that Google gave Spotify. Basically Spotify pays no fees when it processes its own payments and only 4% when Google processes a payment for Spotify.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Is Apple next as Apple is arguably even more restrictive than android with no ability to install an alternative App Store (yet).
Personally I doubt it, as others mentioned the downfall of Google is using trial by jury and it is much easier for Epic Games to play the victim card when it is discovered that Google made secret deals. Google trying to use that they have a "more open App Store", while making massive secret deals to various companies is a pretty tough sale to a jury and is quite literally anti-competitive.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC

Google allowed Spotify to keep 100% of their subscription revenue in order to ensure that Spotify played nice with their platform. It's debatable whether who needs whom more, but Google was evidently scared enough of Spotify possibly trying something that might have a negative impact on Android.

In contrast, Apple released their own music streaming service, and worked to integrate it with Siri and their line of AirPods, effectively causing Spotify to lose any leverage they may have had on iOS. I don't know what Google thought they were trying to accomplish with Youtube Music, but it continues to be a disaster in my opinion.

Well I am not suprised. Most Google products are a disaster. I honestly wish that Apple or someone would create a viable youtube alternative. I know Asian Regions have their own version of youtube that is just as popular or more (Weibo i think it is called). I would be so happy if i Can just get rid of everything google in my life.

I feel like Spotify laying off 1000 employees around the holidays implies Spotify needs Google more than Google needs them.

I wonder how far Apple can go before they are going to be considered to big and thus needing to be reigned om. Like Google already has its own phone company with Tmobile under Fi (which honestly is not terrible. Though thats mainly due to Tmobile). I would love for Apple to simply build their own network (MVNO or buy Dish) and sell their devices drectly like they do now.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You can already install alternate app stores on Android, yet most average users still use the Google Play store because it's convenient.

Exactly.

And if a developer wants to be in the most popular and most convenient store on a platform... with access to all those users... then there should be some kind of fee associated with it. Period.

But Epic wanted all the benefits of the built-in app store... without paying for it.

Whoops...

😋

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Personally I doubt it, as others mentioned the downfall of Google is using trial by jury and it is much easier for Epic Games to play the victim card when it is discovered that Google made secret deals. Google trying to use that they have a "more open App Store", while making massive secret deals to various companies is a pretty tough sale to a jury and is quite literally anti-competitive.
Google today is definitely the Microsoft of the 1990s/2000s and I am looking forward to seeing them get reigned in just like Microsoft did. EU is focusing on Apple but should be focused on google, if evident by this case.

I dont use spotify anyway for the way they pay their artists. So this gives me another reason to dislike them

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Exactly.

And if a developer wants to be in the most popular and most convenient store on a platform... with access to all those users... then there should be some kind of fee associated with it. Period.

But Epic wanted all the benefits of the built-in app store... without paying for it.

Whoops...

😋

But Google praises itself on being an OPEN PLATFORM so why are they charging some companies higher fees than others? From what i read here in this thread and the links offered, Google has definitely been committing anti-competitive behavior and that is why Epic won their case.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Google today is definitely the Microsoft of the 1990s/2000s and I am looking forward to seeing them get reigned in just like Microsoft did. EU is focusing on Apple but should be focused on google, if evident by this case.

I dont use spotify anyway for the way they pay their artists. So this gives me another reason to dislike them
Spotify is already hurting financially, if the deal between them is forced to be broken up and Spotify forced to pay basically what everyone else is paying the 15-30% that will further hurt Spotify even more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.