Epic Strategy Classic 'Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion' Released on iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral interactive has announced the release of Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion for iPad. The game is a standalone expansion pack of the cult classic PC strategy title, Rome: Total War, and builds upon the empire-building mechanics of the original as well as introducing a dramatic new historical context.

Barbarian Invasion takes place in 363AD during the height of the Roman Empire, when the Barbarian hordes began fighting back against Roman supremacy in an attempt to reclaim lost territory.

Players can choose to take on the role of a Barbarian commander determined to bring down the Empire, or take up arms as a Roman General and fight to extend the civilization into a new age.

Woven into the historical narrative are clashes with Christian, Pagan, and Zoroastrian religions, along with a new Horde mechanic that commands factions to raid and plunder opposing settlements to sustain their nomadic lifestyle.

Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion requires a first-generation iPad Air or newer, an iPad mini 2 or newer, or any iPad Pro running iOS 10.2 or later, and just under 4GB of free space to install. The game is available to download on the App Store for $4.99.

Article Link: Epic Strategy Classic 'Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion' Released on iPad

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Owww I like this could be a great time sink on long flights

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Meanwhile, I still play this game (though with the Europa Barbarorum mod) on my Mac. Sadly, the unmodified game is very historically inaccurate, but it is really fun and involves strategy you wouldn't find in any other games.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I saw a TV series many years ago analysing historical classical battles - the episode I watched focused on battles between Romans and Barbarians / Goths. They recreated the battles using a game that looked a lot like this. Was it this one?

EDIT: Five minutes with Google revealed it was probably the BBC's highly regarded Time Commanders series from 2003-5 and they used Rome:Total War to recreate no less than 32 different historical battles.

The entire playlist is on Youtube here. Oh the wonders of the internet :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05012F0E0C42D0B5

EDIT 2: Ooh there was a new series (only 3 episodes) out last year in 2016, using an updated Total War game engine. It's available for UK people on iPlayer for about 4 quid. Mmm, must resist ...

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I saw a TV series many years ago analysing historical classical battles - the episode I watched focused on battles between Romans and Barbarians / Goths. They recreated the battles using a game that looked a lot like this. Was it this one?

EDIT: Five minutes with Google revealed it was probably the BBC's highly regarded Time Commanders series from 2003-5 and they used Rome:Total War to recreate no less than 32 different historical battles.
Ahh man I remember that TV show! That was aaaaages ago! Shame it never took off. :(

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016

Feral interactive has announced the release of Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion for iPad. The game is a standalone expansion pack of the cult classic PC strategy title, Rome: Total War, and builds upon the empire-building mechanics of the original as well as introducing a dramatic new historical context.

Barbarian Invasion takes place in 363AD during the height of the Roman Empire, when the Barbarian hordes began fighting back against Roman supremacy in an attempt to reclaim lost territory.

Players can choose to take on the role of a Barbarian commander determined to bring down the Empire, or take up arms as a Roman General and fight to extend the civilization into a new age.

Woven into the historical narrative are clashes with Christian, Pagan, and Zoroastrian religions, along with a new Horde mechanic that commands factions to raid and plunder opposing settlements to sustain their nomadic lifestyle.

Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion requires a first-generation iPad Air or newer, an iPad mini 2 or newer, or any iPad Pro running iOS 10.2 or later, and just under 4GB of free space to install. The game is available to download on the App Store for $4.99.

Article Link: Epic Strategy Classic 'Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion' Released on iPad
The graphics look so realistic !

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
As someone who hasn't played a game like this since Age of Empires II on a pentium III, is this kind of like Age of Empires or is this something different? I'd love to get my AOE fix again, but since it's not on the iPad maybe this could get me there?

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
As someone who hasn't played a game like this since Age of Empires II on a pentium III, is this kind of like Age of Empires or is this something different? I'd love to get my AOE fix again, but since it's not on the iPad maybe this could get me there?
It's not like AoE II. The campaign mode is turn-based and very slow/deliberate, a bit like Civilization, except you fight battles real-time. The battles are a lot more detailed and realistic than AoE II, there's some chance involved. The battles don't have such a strict "rock paper scissors" model like AoE II does (e.g. spearmen beat knights beat archers beat spearmen), which is pretty cool. My only complaints are that the siege mode battles are kinda glitchy, and the regular battles are unbalanced to the point where people follow unofficial rules about which unit combos one can use online.

There's AoE II Gold for Mac, sadly only for PPC, and AoE II HD for Windows, sadly only for Windows and also totally bugged. Microsoft is preventing it from going off their platform, it seems.

Last edited:

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Yeah, Feral are great for stuff like this. One of my favourite games publishers for iOS/Mac.
I love Feral, but I'm disappointed with the Chessmaster 9000 I purchased. They kinda dropped the ball on Intel support, providing a problematic patch for it, and at some point I couldn't play anymore. But RTW works great still in Sierra :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.