Epic water damage - help please.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robinredemption, Apr 8, 2009.

1. robinredemption macrumors newbie

Sooo...last night at a party my bag was on table which some twats were dancing on, and one of them KICKED THE GOLDFISH BOWL and it smashed* (it was a pretty big goldfish bowl) and my bag filled up with water. which had my ipod in, not to mention other electronics like my psp and camera. I have now had my ipod on charge for a good three hours, for two hours through my ipod dock on my cd player, which is strange because the first time i plugged it in, it did the normal thing when its flat - come up with a low battery sign, take about a minute to come on and then the homescreen popped up, and then it went black. and now its going between the apple start up screen (i assume) and it has the little white loading wheel going round for about 5 minutes. then it goes black, and then begins the process again. i tried plugging it into my computer but it just did the same thing, minus the charging thing.
    and ideas?
    p.s - i have no garantee and even so it would make no difference since i brought it in argos (tossers) and doesnt cover water damage.
    p.p.s - the water damage strip is a faded orangey red colour, which im assuming means it dead.

* the goldfish survived - wish i could say the same for my very expensive peice of **** ipod.

2. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

R.I.P iPod! There's not much you can do (except grieve for the loss). It would have been better if you left it dry for a day or so before plugging it in so that the water would dry up and not short circuit all the components, but still, water + electricity = nono.

3. robinredemption thread starter macrumors newbie

I did let it dry overnight. god sakes - will the basic warenty cover it?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No. No basic warranty will cover water, or accidental damage. You should have let it dry out for much longer before running electric current through it. Might have been able to save it.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Warranty covers defective parts,
    NOT cover user damage such as spilled liquids.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I don't see why you're getting annoyed at the "piece of ****" music player, Argos or anyone on here - it's your friends' fault. And the strip being coloured just means it got wet, which you knew, not that it's dead. It does mean you're definitely not getting it repaired/replaced under warranty though.

7. tucker61 macrumors regular

Take back to Argos, Sunday, 15:50, 10 minutes before home time. Gone faulty. Don't know why. They probably don't know how to look for water damage, if they do go back on diffrent day. Tipex is usefull for White dots. :)

8. mufflon macrumors 6502

google for a touch disassembly guide and take the phone apart _gently_ then you need to bath the electronic parts that has been water damaged (probably everything) in distilled water (or de-ionized water (whatever its proper term in english)).

When you deem it to be decently cleaned by hand then change the water and let it lay for a couple of hours... ... clean it off and let it dry (>24 h).

When it has finally dried up then try to start the touch with the power cable in (the battery might not be able to hold a charge, so will probably need to be changed due to being shorted)

This might work, however it might not - water sucks for electronics =/

9. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Good idea but if an electrical component is fried (in this case due to a short circuit) there is no way you can get it back to work as it should, or work in any way at all. Well... unless... God really loves you and miraculously unfries the component.