Epson 725 setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrtunes, May 3, 2013.

1. mrtunes macrumors newbie

Hello, I have had a lot of trouble setting up my printer with OSX 10.8

It says to install the printer drivers, I will plug it in and the App Store should open and prompt me to install the Epson drivers. But this doesn't happen. There is actually no notification that the printer has been plugged in.

I've found the drivers on the web - but they say they are 1 gig in size. That seems very large to me, and since it's a macbook air i have to be more careful about filling up the harddrive.

Finally, in order to print wirelessly, will I have to use a router, or can the macbook connect to the printer directly?

2. Giuly, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can make the printer connect to the MacBook if it's close enough.

Have you tried just plugging in the printer (or just connecting it to your router) and adding it in the System Preferences? It should've been detected and then download the drivers automatically afterwards.

3. mrtunes thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i physically plugged it in and nothing happens. this is the main source of my confusion :)

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

There isn't anything going to happen, unless you go to System Preferences, Printers, press the + on bottom-left and add the printer.

If you connect the printer to your router, you don't really need drivers as it's just going to print via AirPrint, even from your Mac.

5. cube macrumors G5

You need to be on the same subnet for Bonjour to work.

Also, the firewall might be blocking some of the ports used by Epson, so you have to look at the Console firewall messages.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Where? Epson's site or apples? I had an issue with my Epson printer using the drivers on Epson's site. When I installed them from Apples site I had no issues at all. Give that a try. Link below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1398

7. Giuly, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

1. You connect your printer to the same router as your Mac.
    2. You go to System Preferences ->Print and Scan, and select the printer.
    [​IMG]
    3. Printing and scanning is setup within seconds.
    [​IMG]

No driver installation required at all (on Mountain Lion). Yes, it's that easy.