Epson PrintCD v1.6.0E where to get latest version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by northernmunky, Feb 12, 2009.

1. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I have an Epson Photo R285 printer, but the driver disk comes with Epson PrintCD version 1.6.0E from 2007... not only is it ancient - it's still PowerPC code.

Surely Epson has kept up with an Intel version for a product they are still advertising as their latest? But there are no links to the software on either the US or UK Epson sites?

Anyone have a copy of the latest version or know of a link to the latest (if any?) of the software? :confused:

2. jdaa macrumors newbie

No help here but...

I'm also interested in this info. I have to keep using my old laptop in order to use this software.

3. northernmunky thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I just spoke to one of the Epson online representatives (who kept trying to tell me how to use the software and not answer my question!) but I eventually got out of him that there was a 2.0 version but it would cost me £10 to get an updated driver CD because its not on the website for 'licensing' reasons.

I bought the printer 3 months ago so I'm certainly not paying for a Driver CD! :mad:

4. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Looks like I will have the same situation.

Can anyone recommend and printer that will allow me to print CDs with a Mac ?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sure- just use a different application to print to the Epson you already have! The bundled application that comes with Epsons that you have (Epson Print CD) is weak to start with really- which I why I originally just tossed it after looking at it. My favorite application of that nature is Discus by Magic Mouse Software which is quite nice (demo version and info at the link), but there are others out there too that have been recommended in several threads here at MR so a little searching for "disk printing" or something of that nature should turn them up pretty easily for alternative suggestions.

I have several printers, but when it comes to CD printing Epson pretty much owns the market in the US at least- as Canon for some reason or another only sells their disk printing capable printers in Europe. Even the Canon rep I ran into the other day and asked about that was either unable or unwilling to explain that marketing move!:( I have used the Epson R200, R220, R260, R280, RX 585 and now RX 680 for printing disks with excellent results- but always with Discus. The newest ones in the Epson line that include the capability to print disks are the Artisan 700 and 900 which are both sweet looking all in ones.

6. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thank you for that. I never considered using another program, I just thought it would not be compatible with aligning the disc etc to ensure a good print. The CD Print I use with Vista works well.

I shall look at Discus as my printer is only a few months old.

7. northernmunky thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I've just discovered Disc Cover 2.3... does the job nicely and is compatible with most CD printing printers. :)