Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
i've been using the Epson R340 printer w/my g4 forever. now all of a sudden i can't print. i've reinstalled drivers from epson's website. nothing. then i found some existing epson drivers on my HD using spotlight. tried installing those, but repeatedly got "could not install hardware, there were some errors". what's strange is that via Epson Printer Utility i CAN do nozzle checks, ink level checks, etc, which tells me the computer IS connecting w/the printer... except when it comes to printing.:confused:

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
First thing to try is delete and re-Add printer in Print & Fax prefs. Second is reset printing system:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341
Next is repair the hard drive while booted from install DVD:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
(where it says Try Disk Utility)

Somewhere down near number 10 is "reinstall drivers that may be older than what is already on OS X"... ;-)

tried this, (printer reset) but when i got to the link it said, "Open Printer Setup Utility." this does not exist as an option on my computer for some reason. oh, and it won't let me re-add my printer now that i've removed it from the print & fax prefs.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
On Leopard, Printer Setup Utility doesn't exist - you use Print & Fax prefs for that.

I'd start by booting from the Install DVD and repairing the hard drive. Then, do a custom install of printer drivers.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I'd start by booting from the Install DVD and repairing the hard drive. Then, do a custom install of printer drivers.
Chopping off a finger to fix a broken nail. Just remove the printer and then re-add it.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
If you conceal the true nature of your issue, then how do you expect to get useful advice?

if i knew the true nature of the problem, i wouldn't be here. i can't print. i can't add a new printer in the prefs section. but i CAN communicate other functions to my printer such as nozzle cleaning, pattern tests and whatnot. but again, i can't print.

neo10141

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Same Problem, Any Answers?

I am having the exact same problem with my powerbook G4 running the same operating system, Tiger 10.4.11. The only difference is I use a Canon IP4000 printer that I have been using for years. I can do nozzle checks etc, but apparently some recent software update that I have completed will not allow me to print. I removed the printer and tried to re-add it, and it will not allow me to re-add this printer. BoyNigel, or anyone, did you ever find a solution to this problem? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.