Epson R1800 Installation problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willie45, Oct 8, 2007.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I have the above printer which installed and ran quite happily on my Dell pc for several months. I have tried to install it on my iMac with frustrating results.

The printer first didn't work at all. Phoned Epson, who told me the drivers were not the right ones and I should go to their site to download more. So I downloaded from the website. This still didn't work and only resulted in a sort of half functional printer, with many of the more advanced functions not working.

Another call to Epson and long procedure erasing old drivers and other bits and pieces. All seemed fine until tonight when I tried to use profiles. I can't find the ones which should be installed in my mac. I believe they should be in Color sync - Profiles? Lots of profiles from other software ( Capture One etc) but only a generic Epson profile. Epson are now shut for the night.

I can't seem to find any way of downloading these from Epsons site. Can anyone help? :(

thanks

Willie

2. 23am macrumors regular

23am

Epson is the worst printers ever imo.. Worthless drivers and they never work :(
    Did the package contain any CD/DVD?

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

umm yes it did. The drivers I installed are newer though. Anyway it seems to work now having tweaked it a bit with further help from Epson support, though I wouldn't say it was an easy installation! The problem i am now getting is that the prints are so much darker than what I see on my monitor that it is hardly worth using any editing software. I am really disappointed and frustrated.

I agree with you about Epson. They are truly awful. i will never buy one again

Willie

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi. Sorry not have acknowledged your posts earlier but I had sort of thought the thread had finished and only found it again today. I am really interested in this idea of open source drivers. I had no idea they existed until now. I might well give them a try. By and large are they reliable? Do they provide as good ( or even better ) results than the Epson ones? If I don't like them presumably I could just uninstsall them easily and revert to Epson.

If anyone has any experience of using these I would be interested to hear from you.

Thanks

Willie