Epson R1900 about to become a doorstop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaperQueen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I have a serious love/hate relationship with my Epson R1900 (sadly, hate more often than love). About ten days ago, the printer suddenly stopped functioning when I began using my new MBP over the wireless network (printer is connected to the network via Airport Extreme). Even though the new MBP is on the exact same OS as the old MBP (10.5.8), I thought "Huh...odd, but that's the only thing that changed, so let's go download a new driver."

Big mistake.

Thanks to Epson's latest update, the driver has two flavors: Print directly connected via USB (not an option, given my layout) -or- no printing, period. If I try to print wirelessly through my Airport network, the document flashes for a split second in the print monitor window, then POOF! Gone, with not even a blink on the printer itself.

Tried the CUPS+Gutenprint (v5.2.4), but I'm only getting about 40% ink saturation, which is abysmal and unusable.

Emailed Epson through their website, and received a scripted response saying they don't support printing on wireless networks.

Okay. So the past year was a fluke? Or did they reverse engineer the driver to exclude wireless networking through routers?

Does anyone have a solution to this mess? I'm sitting on about $500 of unused ink and a big honkin' printer that refuses to function. :mad:

2. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Just a noodge, in hopes someone will pick this thread up and run with it, please? Thanks!