Epson R1900 - Any Thoughts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VanMac, Jul 19, 2008.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hello.

I'm looking at purchasing a photo printer. I want to be able to print out some of the pics I take and frame them, hang them up, etc.

I'm looking at the R1900, as the quality looks good, and the 13" wide format would be nice.

Any advice on this, or other recommendations would be appreciated.

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I bought one a few months ago to print 11x14 canvas prints. I love it and it prints great photos. The drawbacks, it is huge and the ink is not available locally. Other than that I like it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's your budget limit?

I have a Canon i9900, but they don't make that anymore; it's replacement is even better: PIXMA Pro9000 / PIXMA Pro9500

I have to say this is best photo printer money can buy; I've owned HP and Epson and I have to say the Canon is unsurpassed. I've had mine for few years now and it's still works like new. This is after a tenth thousands of photos. Of I only use this to print photos.

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.
    No real budget limit. I dont want to spend money for nothing though. So, would the Canon Pro 9000/9500 deliver much better prints then the Epson...

5. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

Epson R1900

I bought Epson 3800 last month and I did look into R1900 and Canon Pro9000. After doing my research and after seeing the difference on paper, I figured that going for an Epson was better since the ink it uses and the print quality was just amazing as compared to a canon. Epson R1900 is an amazing printer and it is a much better printer than a Canon, but that's my personal opinion. Read up on Epson printer on "photo.net" and consider comparing the print quality. I hope that helps.

6. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks for the info.

I'm considering the Epson 2880 as well, as it uses the new ink as well. How do you like the 3800?

7. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

Epson R1900

I love Epson 3800. It is perfect for photo prints and I think it is better than R1900 as well. But it is a little expensive, but you get what you pay for. Look into it. The only drawback is that it has been out there for a while and epson might be coming out with a newer model.

8. Crunz macrumors newbie

I've not had the Epson R1900 so can't comment on that but by photo-printer i assume you mean inkjet however you can use a laser too so the first question you might ask is "which is better for photo-printing laser or inkjet".

Inkjet printers are, in my opinion better for budget printing they're alright. printing on anything but premium glossy paper you get a lot of smudging though that's why i prefer laser printers because they use solid ink instead of a jet and you dont get any smudging even on plain a4 paper. I'd also say the quality of print on the inkjet printers i've used was nothing compared to the laser printer's however they do cost more money. This is just my opinion, i've not used all the inkjet printers on the market. :)

As for brand. I've used various Canon, Epson and Xerox printers in the past. They're all good quality brands and are reliable with the exception of the bottom of the range Epson printers, i wouldn't buy those even if the name "photo-printer" was slapped on it, to get a good quality print I'd look for a mid-range one at least. Come to think of it i'd choose Canon over Epson.