Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
It prints fine on regular paper, but the DVD/CD printing is ruining my day.
It simply won't print, I have tried the Epson software "Epson Print CD" and Photoshop.
The error message is the same every time, something like "tray or paper is not loading correctly".

I don't know if this means anything, but under print settings pulldown menu, it doesn't say R800 (manual feed) like the pictures in the user guide.

I'm using OS 10.4.1 with Epson driver v1.8aA.

Any ideas ?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I have the R300 and on the (printer) screen did you select the cd/dvd option? Also does the tray try to pull through before the error message? I know Rod Rod had to slightly push his tray to get it to work, this is something that I don't have to do but you never know.
One more thing if you didn't try is in the paper select (program that it comes with) you need to pick A4 for paper type and see what happens. If you have time list the things you have done and I can go through my setup and see if it's the same ;)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
It's a p.i.t.a. to print onto DVDs but it's way better than using sticker labels or permanent markers.

1. Page Setup - A4
2. Print - Print Settings - select CD/DVD in the "Media" pulldown menu. Press the "automatic" button.
3. To get more accurate colors, under Color Management, click the "Use Colorsync" option.

As Artful Dodger said, I have to nudge the tray to get my R200 to work.

Here are a couple of examples of DVD prints I've done.

Attachments

• DVD-prints-fromEPSONR200.jpg
    DVD-prints-fromEPSONR200.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 98

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I read somewhere that CD/DVD printing is disabled in North American versions of some Epson printers because of patent issues.

I can't remember the link though, sorry.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
dobbin said:
I read somewhere that CD/DVD printing is disabled in North American versions of some Epson printers because of patent issues.

That seems highly unlikely.
Why would they release software that's disabled and still promote and charge for it.

Anyways...

I got it to work, I downloaded some gimp software and it works fine now. But I can't remember where I found it.
I also found some Illustrator templates, that work better than Epson Print CD software.

Is it perfect ? No, I still think Epson needs to update their drivers and figure out a way to make their Print CD software work.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Do you need special discs for that?

I've been thinking of getting one of these printers lately, but I need to know if you need special discs. Can I print on just any kind of CD/DVD media? I have a stack of 100 DVDs and it would really be a waste for me if I couldn't use them, but using labels is starting to get frustrating.
Thanks.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
dobbin said:

Dahl said:
That seems highly unlikely.
Why would they release software that's disabled and still promote and charge for it.

Oh, my mistake, I searched for this, and it is actually CANON who has disabled CD/DVD printing, on their Pixma printers. I can't find the original detailed review I read on this, but it is mentioned in this thread on another forum.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Madmic23
I've been thinking of getting one of these printers lately, but I need to know if you need special discs. Can I print on just any kind of CD/DVD media? I have a stack of 100 DVDs and it would really be a waste for me if I couldn't use them, but using labels is starting to get frustrating.
Thanks.

No you need discs that can be printed to and don't buy the thermal discs either. Some have found the silver printables to work nice but I like the white ones. Try here: http://www.supermediastore.com/
some times they have coupon codes that help out ;)

Nice job Rod Rod :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I like Taiyo Yuden silver matte inkjet printables.

As for your regular discs, avoid labels and just use a permanent marker pen. although I hear the ink can sometimes damage the disc over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.