Epson Scan 2

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I recently updated my MB Pro to Catalina and Epson Scan was no longer compatible. So I went to Epson's website and downloaded what was available for Mac OS 10.15: the new Epson Scan 2 program and a new driver. The program starts up but in the opening window where it should list available printers none are listed and the Refresh button doesn't do anything. The printer is listed in System Preferences. I tried rebooting but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Might help to know the Epson model.

Per Epson, even though they have Catalina compatible software, might not work with the device you have.

Note: Epson Scan is not available for some products running in macOS 10.15. You can use Apple's Image Capture software instead. To use Image Capture, install Epson's ICA Scanner Driver for Image Capture. Go to the Downloads tab on your product's support page, and download and install the ICA Scanner Driver for Image Capture.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What VERSION of Catalina are you currently using?
If it's 10.15.2, upgrade to 10.15.3 and try again.

If the Epson software won't work, you could try "VueScan".
It supports nearly everything out there.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm using 10.15.3 and it's a Worforce 630. Epson doesn't appear to specify which products Epson Scan is not available for, but as this is an older model I wouldn't be surprised if it's in that category. Has anyone used Apple's Image Capture with a scanner?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
So I downloaded ICA Scanner Driver for Image Capture and scanning on the Workforce 630 using Image Capture worked. Thanks.

I had never used it before but I actually like Image Capture better than Epson Scan. Also, if Epson can provide a driver for Image Capture that works with my old printer, why couldn't they get get Epson Scan 2 to work with it? Strange.

Last edited: