Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperAcer79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Arizona
Last month, I purchased a 24" IMac with OS X (Leopard) which I have been very happy with so far. I also purchased a Keyspan USB to Parallel Port adaptor so I could connect my old Epson Stylus Color 600 printer to my new IMAC, since the Epson does not have a USB port. After I connected the printer, via the adaptor, the Imac immediately recognized the printer and was able to print documents via Gutenprint. However, as of late, I can only print 3 different times before Gutenprint just hangs and only prints 7% of the 3rd document. I restart the computer and then it immediately begins printing the document. I usually have a lot of things I like to print from different webpages so this is a problem. Any suggestions on how to get more stable software?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... After I connected the printer, via the adaptor, the Imac immediately recognized the printer and was able to print documents via Gutenprint. However, as of late, I can only print 3 different times before Gutenprint just hangs and only prints 7% of the 3rd document. ...
Which version of Gutenprint are you using?

SuperAcer79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Arizona
just downloaded new version

ok, I just downloaded the latest version and am still having the same problem:-(

SuperAcer79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Arizona
Problem Solved

I solved the problem by downloading a program called usbtb and using that instead of the gutenprint.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I solved the problem by downloading a program called usbtb and using that instead of the gutenprint.
Congratulations on getting your printer to work. However, I do have a point of clarification. The backend CUPS driver, usbtb, was developed by the Gutenprint team and works in conjunction with Gutenprint for USB printers.

SuperAcer79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Arizona
More problems

I thought I was home free but now my Mac is saying that the printer is offline, so I go to system preferences, then printer/fax and erase all the printers in there and try it again. Now, my Epson 600 doesn't show up at all when I add a printer. All that shows up is CUPS-PDF, IEEE-1284 controller and Prolific Technologies IEEE-1284 Controller. The "kind" are as follows, cups-pdf, USB Printer (usbtb), and USB. I even tried to reinstall the usbtb program but right in the middle of installation, it stops and I get a thud thud thud sound coming from the speakers that won't stop, so I restarted the computer. I then selected the IEEE-1284 Controller printer and selected the Gutenprint Epson 600 driver to go along with it and when I go to print a document, it gets the through the printing progress ok (gets to 100%) but nothing prints.

I don't know why it was working fine for two weeks and now a hangup. Are there any other programs besides Gutenprint I can try?

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I had an Epson Stylus Photo 700 that believe it or not is old enough to still have an Apple style serial port. It was originally hooked up to a 9500.

Anyway, the only time it worked right with a USB/parallel adapter was in OS 9 or Classic mode on a G3. Which ruled out Leopard.
It is now doing replacement duty for an HP PSC on my mother's P4 using the parallel port.
I loved this printer, but it's not worth keeping up, other than bargain ink replacement.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
.... IEEE-1284 controller and Prolific Technologies IEEE-1284 Controller. ... I then selected the IEEE-1284 Controller printer and selected the Gutenprint Epson 600 driver to go along with it and when I go to print a document, it gets the through the printing progress ok (gets to 100%) but nothing prints.

As you seem to understand, the USB-to-IEEE 1284 adaptor is the only thing that your computer can see. For whatever reason, the adaptor is not communicating with the printer. You might try turning the printer off for about a minute and then turning it back on. Then try printing again.

mo679

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
As you seem to understand, the USB-to-IEEE 1284 adaptor is the only thing that your computer can see. For whatever reason, the adaptor is not communicating with the printer. You might try turning the printer off for about a minute and then turning it back on. Then try printing again.

Hello everybody

I have the same problem "offline printer" since I upgraded to leopard, if I run tiger from my firewire hdd printer works normally! I guess it's leopard, not the adapter!

splashncough

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks so much for this tip! After two maddeningly unsuccessful days of trying to get my MacBook Pro to recognize a LaserJet 4 connected via USB-Parallel cable, I downloaded and installed USBTB and: bingo! Success. So happy not to have to junk the LaserJet, which prints like a dream and is built like a tank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.