ePub & DRM Library Books

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snowwing, Oct 29, 2010.

1. snowwing macrumors member

snowwing

I am contemplating the purchase of an iPad. One of the big reasons is to download titles from my public library.
    I have a kindle but it is not compatible with the ePub format. Is the iPad compatible like the Sony e-reader? I am confused. I can read these titles downloaded via Overdrive on my Macbook Pro but cannot transfer them to my Kindle.
    This isn't the only reason for wanting an iPad but it is the most important at the moment. I also use Calibre but that doesn't appear to be a solution. Thanks for any advice
    Ron

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I use Stanza on both my iPad and iPhone, and almost everything I read is in the .epub format. Stanza also is compatible with other file types, but with most of my e-books I use Calibre to convert to epub and then use Stanza to download to both of my devices.

3. JulianL macrumors 65816

Is there any DRM on these epubs? If not then Apple iBooks will read them just fine. If you're downloading them to your PC then you just drag the epub file to the books section of your library in itunes and it'll then sync to your device on the next sync.

- Julian

4. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

I should have been more clear. This is from my library's web site:

DRM-protected Adobe EPUB & PDF eBooks are incompatible with these devices…

* Amazon® Kindle
    * Amazon Kindle DX
    * Apple® iPad™

I think I can convert any format with Calibre but
    it is current books with DRM that is my problem. I don't understand why the Sony E-reader would be able to read them but not iPad. Unless it is competition for Apples Service (& Amazon)
    Thanks

5. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing