iPhone ePub reader to read books aloud

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lordofthereef, Jan 14, 2016.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

looking for an ePub reader that reads books aloud. I realize I can do this in iBooks but I have to make giant selections manually and it's just a hassle.

Ideally this app would read ePub from drop box (or similar cloud storage), have a relatively human like voice (something like Siri is fine, just not terribly robotic), and not require the screen to be on/active while playing.

Only such thing I may have come across is Audibook but it's not available in the US AppStore.

2. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

The best e-book reading app I know (Hyphen - eBook Reader for ePub) doesn't seem to have this yet - but it might be a good idea to ask the developer behind it to add that feature ;)

3. gaidinsgirl, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

gaidinsgirl macrumors newbie

Voice dream is my favorite. It is pricey but absolutely worth it to me. It only opens drm free books though. I bought the app and the Salli voice and listen to all my books there. It pauses/plays the way music does, so headphones can pause the app. It will play in the background with the screen off. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Voice Dream Reader by Voice Dream LLC
    https://appsto.re/us/kiXKD.i

4. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

The only way this is acceptable is if you're visually impaired and there is no other option. Audiobooks are an art form. A book well read by a talented voice artist is a delight. Try Christopher Moore's "Blood Sucking Fiends" read by Susan Bennett (the voice behind Siri), or Patrick Tull's masterful rendition of all 20 1/3 books in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, or George Guidall reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" or even the authors themselves reading their own works, including some voices we shall never hear again: Douglas Adams reading "Hitchhiker's Guide" or Christopher Hitchens reading "God is not Great" ...

Now highlight a chunk of text and run it through a reader program. It's flat, robotic, without the slightest comprehension. It adds nothing to the text - indeed, it detracts.

Full disclosure: I've been an Audible customer for 12 years.