Equalizers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DisMyMac, Oct 7, 2012.

1. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

We edit audio and video with certain settings. Then people play it back with their own settings.

Does that mess things up? Seems like a big problem to me.

2. treatment macrumors member

Yes, in fact it is a big problem.

(I told myself I am NOT going to write an essay in response to your question, so here is an outline:)
    I have been an audio engineer for nearly two decades, and this problem has never gone away, and nor should we expect it to.

In the audio world, you have 2 types of speakers:
    Near field monitors, and far field monitors.
    Typically, both are the highest quality (meaning as flat a freq response curve as possible) that you can afford.

Far field monitors are large, near field are small.
    The near fields give us accurrate imaging, and serve to provide us with an accurrate respresentation of the mix.

The far fields tell us what it will sound like on a large home stereo speaker system in a perfect world, in a perfect listening environment.

Mixing engineers like myself go farther than relying on these two sound sources:

1) I include iPod headphones in my listening assessment, because lets face it: that is how a LARGE portion of your audience will hear your content. (ipod headphones have a really "cloudy"/"boxey" lower midrange)

2) I use the crappiest, tiniest set of cheap-o speakers, and I see what can and cannot be heard in the mix.
    (find the crappiest system possible. Cymbals are still there? Sibilance on the vocals?=GOOD)

3) I listen to the mix in an automobile, because the inside of a vehicle is a very odd listening space, but once again, this is where a large amount of people listen to music.

4) I listen to the content on my laptop speakers.
    (They are weak, tiny, have no bass whatsoever, so if I can hear the thumping kick drum, then obviously there is enough bass, but maybe too much?)

Once you have "shopped" your mix around on different systems, you get a much better idea of what it's going to sound like on other people's systems.

Typically, people prefer bass frequencies, so usually the worst case scenario is that your mix sounds too heavy, with not enough treble.

What you have to remember, is that this is what some people LIKE to hear, so even though you think your mix sounds like crap on your neighbors' speakers, he might think it sounds awesome.

Treatment

3. DisMyMac thread starter macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I read your book- it was great. :)

For me it's only a question of iMovie effects like bass and voice enhancement. If I boost things, then some people will hear them doubly boosted. If not, then other folks won't be as impressed.

It's like a paradox that drives thinkers to madness... :eek: