Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mylesaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Can you people help me?

I'm trying to make a CD out of a bunch of music I downloaded (legally just in case there are some sticklers on the board!!).

The music is from different sources, so there are huge volume changes from song to song which I would like to smooth out or equalize so everything sounds the same, volume-wise.

downloaded and tried MacMP3Gain to try to fix that, but it didn't seem to work at all. I noticed no change.

So since iTunes equalization doesn't carry over to a CD we make, do you people have any other ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks,

Mylesaway

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
Go to iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Burning and check off "use sound check"

mylesaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Dylan -

I've done that, and it equalizes all the stuff in my iTunes library. Including hundreds of podcasts which I have. Is there anyway to do this for just one playlist?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Since you only have a few songs in the playlist (what....18-20 max), you could do it manually. If you get info on songs and go to the options you can adjust the volume +/- 100%.

mylesaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Out There -

That, my friend, is an excitingly easy way to do this. However, are you telling me that that change in volume on the individual songs will stick? In other words, this will carry over to the CD burning? Because other options like changing the equalizer settings on an individual song only work for playing the playlist in iTunes, it does not work when you burn that playlist on to a CD.

So, does your idea work when you burn a CD?

Thanks,

Myles

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
mylesaway said:
Dylan -

I've done that, and it equalizes all the stuff in my iTunes library. Including hundreds of podcasts which I have. Is there anyway to do this for just one playlist?

There are two Preferences that perform a "sound check". You only want to use one of them.

Under iTunes Preferences->Playback there is a "Sound Check" checkbox. If this checkbox is selected then during playback of music in iTunes the volume of the music will be adjusted to be at the same level for all songs. This checkbox has no effect on burning CDs.

Under iTunes Preferences->Advanced->Burning there is a "Sound Check" checkbox. If this checkbox is selected then Audio CD's that you burn will have the volume of the tracks on the CD corrected to ensure that the whole CD plays at the same volume. This checkbox has no effect on playback of mp3 files in iTunes.

mylesaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Well, I tried your suggestion:

iTunes Preferences->Advanced->Burning there is a "Sound Check" checkbox. If this checkbox is selected then Audio CD's that you burn will have the volume of the tracks on the CD corrected to ensure that the whole CD plays at the same volume. This checkbox has no effect on playback of mp3 files in iTunes.

All the songs played at the same level in iTunes

The volume changes did not work on the burned CD so I was back to having huge jumps in volume from song to song

And iTunes started to go through my entire library to match the volumes on every podcast and song downloaded.

So, what next? Just iVolume?

Mylesaway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.