Equation Editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbwrobel, Sep 2, 2010.

1. dbwrobel Guest

I'm currently working out of iWork on my mac doing papers with a large amount of equations in them; however, when I travel to school they only use Windows and Microsoft Office...is there any program that can offer cross compatibility between them? (ie. if I make a document in Pages I can use either latexit or mathtype, but when I open up in Word 2007 or 2010 will the equations come up? Likewise, if I put equations into a Word document, when I open them up in Pages will they show?)

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. IMHO, you are barking up the wrong tree. Pages is a great little document processor. It can read and write Word files. This functionality is a convenience to the user; it does not make Pages a substitute for Word. Microsoft wants Word to be the all to end all. You can't say that it has everything except the kitchen sink because the kitchen sink is probably hidden beneath all of that bloat.

There is a 99.99% chance that your professors can read PDF files. If this is acceptable, then send them PDF files. You don't need to worry about Word-compatibility. If you need Word-compatibility, then use Word. The purpose of exporting from another application to Word is to avoid completely retyping your documents. Unless your documents are simple beyond words [pardon the pun], then your converted document will have to be tweaked in Word to remove the inevitable formatting glitches. If you turn in a raw converted document, then it will have formatting glitches.

3. steveoc macrumors regular

I use MathType quite a bit with Keynote. When I convert Keynote to PowerPoint, the equations show up but are no longer editable when I open the file in Windows PPT 2008 and 2003. It is likely to be the same with Pages and Word.

I will actually be trying this out later today and I'll get back with the results.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I seem to recall that Apple reached an agreement with Design Science to include MathType Lite with iWork. MathType Lite is the evaluation version of MathType after 30 days.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I used latexit with pages, keynote, and others, but never had a complaint about the equations or layout being visible...my profs all used mac or linux, but not all mac is my point. Many used Open office to view my finished products, and some probably used WordMac....

6. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

thanks for everyones input!

For now I've ditched iWork :-( and will try working with Office :-( :-( (maybe 2011 will be more compatible) across both OS X and Windows...my main issue was not really to submit things (as I've been using PDFs, but rather to be able to work on the document between my imac at home and my windows pc at school seemlessly back and forth)...I read somewhere that if I stay using .doc I can edit equations and the documents between both platforms easier than .docx (which I don't think the OSX version can read equations in)