Equations Authored with Microsoft Office Were Removed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Proginoskes, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Proginoskes macrumors member

Today, I opened a .docx from one of my math students, and this error popped up. I don't recall seeing it before, and a Google search only turned up one hit, which was someone referring to the same message. That post was dated October 26, 2014.

I am running a MacBook on Yosemite 10.10.1, and I'm wondering whether a recent upgrade in Yosemite, in Pages, or in Micro$oft Office ruined this. I doubt that it's Pages, because OpenOffice 4 can't open the page correctly on my computer, either.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone else reproduce the same error?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

I have, many times over the past 10-odd years - every single time the source document/equation was created in LaTeX, then converted to a Word format (.doc/.docx).

If it was generated in LaTeX, the only solution I have for you is to either have the original document regenerated in Word (generally a PITA) or approach GrindEQ, which has an online conversion service.

3. Proginoskes thread starter macrumors member

Ten years? Wow ...

After ten years, I would have thought that someone would have brought it up, and the issue would have been fixed.

Thanks for your response; however, the document belongs to a student of mine, so I was looking for a quicker solution.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

I offered my only exposure to this "issue". :D

As to "fixing" the source - they come from clients, who have document "standards". I converted one, so I'm expected to offer no resistance when another one comes in. After all, LaTeX has been around since the 70s...

You could try one more application - it's on every Mac, and it's great with getting text out of files, including Word-formatted files: TextEdit. TextEdit has been a great can opener for me over the years...

6. Proginoskes thread starter macrumors member

The really weird thing is that when I opened up the document using OpenOffice on my Linux machine at work, I could read most of it.

But OpenOffice for Mac can't get any of it.