Equations in iWork '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MasterHowl, Oct 11, 2010.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Hello.
    I'm currently doing a Physics report on Pages '09, and I plan on using equations in it.
    I'm going to type the equations in on Grapher, then drag and drop them into my Pages file.
    However, I have a kind of OCD when it comes to college work, and everything has to be in the same font. What font does grapher use?!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're actually a physics major and plan to stick with physics, it would be wise to invest time learning LaTeX.

http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

Just an FYI.

3. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

FIXED.
    I went onto preferences (cmd + ,) and double clicked on the sample equation under the "Equations" section. It can be changed there.
    I might take the time to learn LaTeX, thanks miles!

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Emphasizing the point that learning LaTeX is a good idea. For writing equations in LaTeXiT the learning curve is actually quite minimal. You can also write an equation in grapher, which can do quite a bit, and then save it as a LaTeX expression which can help with some of the more complicated things.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Every time someone asks about equations, you are going to get the reflexive chimers talking about LaTeX. However, there is another free option. Apple recommends MathType Lite, the unpaid version of MathType, for composing equations in Pages.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For serious physics or math papers, Mathtype falls woefully short. There's a reason I, and others who use LaTeX for equations on a daily basis, don't recommend it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Serious physics? That is an argument about manhood, not science and math. There was a time when the Physical Review required all submissions in particle physics to be in TeX format. No more. Now, it accepts Word .doc. The serious physicist, engineer, or mathematician is the one who gets his/her research published and grant proposals funded. LaTeX is a tool toward that end. However, there are other tools.