Equivalant Second Monitor for 24" iMac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a 24" iMac RevA. Im looking to get a second monitor. I'm not sold on and one brand, but I do want it to be at least 24" and have the same resolution as my 24" imac. My question is, what do I look for to get the same look as my imac. I dont want to have two different colors on each screen. I want both to be equal. Does it matter which one I get and just get a monitor calibrator?

2. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The Revision A didn't come in a 24" size, I assume you mean B?

Do you want a monitor whose case matches (closely) or a monitor with equal color reproduction (this will be very hard, you can get better, but exact to a cheaper screen will be difficult)?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Do some research to find the part number and manufacturer of the iMac LCD, Then ask around for other brands of LCD displays that use that same part. Best you can do.

5. caf9128 macrumors member

This is the primary reason (out of many) that I didn't get an iMac.

I had a really nice dual screen HP PC set up before with beautiful matched screens. There's just no way to do this with a Mac without going to a far more expensive Mac Pro. So although I've got two Macbooks for my portable needs, I ended up getting another HP desktop, running Vista. It actually blows any iMac out of the water, quite honestly. Came with a really powerful video card, 6 MB of RAM, a terrabyte of hard disk space, built in hi-def TV tuner, etc. All for $1500 with one high res 24" monitor (the second matching monitor will cost you another $400 or so). And Vista has actually been perfect. Not a single glitch after the first six weeks of use.

I only bring this all up with the hope that Apple will get on the stick and bring out a decent desktop without all the limitations of the iMac. Style only takes you so far.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

What's the powerful video card and the high-def TV tuner for? I doubt you will benefit from these things with only 6 MB ram. How did you even get Vista to start with 6 MB ram? I thought it requires 1 GB?

Sorry I just had to. :)