Equivalent spec (Insurance claim)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by avon75, Sep 22, 2017.

1. avon75 macrumors newbie

Hi all
    Just had word from my insurance claim company that they are willing to settle cash for my irreparable 13” MacBook Pro (early 2015, i7 3.1GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD).
    They are saying that they will offer cash based on the equivalent model to be a new Pro with touchbar, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD but the processor offered is the i5 3.1GHz. They say it’s actually faster than my old laptop but I have rejected that, because I believe I should have an i7.
    So my question is do I have a viable argument to claim I must receive an i7 ? Are they right to say performance is better ?
    My use cases are mainly editing 4K video in iMovie/Final Cut Pro, spreadsheet modelling in Excel via Windows 10 running in Parallels. I do a fair bit of video conversion too (Blu Ray to iTunes).

2. jerryk, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

jerryk macrumors 601

Just say the old system had an i7, the new system must have an i7 to be equivalent and you won't settle for anything less. Then complain about the money you spent on insurance premiums. Fewer words are better in these situations.

3. leman macrumors G3

No, you don’t have a viable argument. From objective performance standpoint, the 2017 model is strictly superior. You can try if course and hope that the insurance people are either technically illiterate or just can’t bother arguing.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

+1

I'd take the deal.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Take the deal, it's a more powerful laptop. Arguing for the sake of greed runs the risk of falling out of favour with gestures of good will. Obviously you want a 1:1 replacement, but you cannot get this as it's no longer manufactured, they're offering a brand new equivalent which is superior. Take it!

Otherwise if you gamble it, they could well hand it over to more knowledgable people and find your exact model still in stock somewhere, and you'll get your 1:1 replacement at the expense of missing out on a newer model.