Equivalent to Aperture Vaults in "Photos"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PatriCanuck, Apr 13, 2015.

1. PatriCanuck macrumors newbie

I've always thought one of the best features of Aperture was the option to set up various "vaults" for backup.

I will really hate to give that up by being forced to move to "Photos" eventually.

I've tried to find out the status of "Vaults" as a feature in "Photos" around the web including Apple's discussion forums, but nothing.

Thoughts? Suggestions if there is no equivalent in "Photos"? Thanks!

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I actually stopped using Aperture vaults because it would take so freaking long to update them, even if I had only taken a few dozen photos since the last time I used it.

I use rsync instead. You have to use the command line, but rsync lets you copy your Aperture or Photos library to a new location, then update the copy with only what has changed. Not only that but it lets you put the backup anywhere, unlike vaults which were restricted to locally-connected disks. (ugh)

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can also use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to setup a task that will keep your library synced between multiple destinations.

-Kevin