Er.... Apple stores giving away iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hojoon0724, May 25, 2008.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

I just went to exchange my iPhone because it couldn't do the restore and when I told that to one of the genius he didn't even blink twice and gave me a new iPhone.

Usually in my past experience they go through some "tests" before they give me a new one but this time he just cracked open a box and exchanged it.

Does this mean they're trying to get rid of old iPhone models?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I doubt it. I think it just means you got a genius bar rep who had seen the same problem and wanted to get it done quick...

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

The same thing happened to me a little less than two weeks ago. My iPhone was acting up and the genius didn’t even test my phone (the normal microphone/speaker wasn’t working). I was surprised, but very pleased that the service was so quick.

4. Red Sox macrumors regular

Same here. My screen quit responding to touch on the top part of the screen, and I told the genius that. Then he took out a new iPhone and swapped out the SIM card. No questions asked. He didn't even test it. I was in and out of the store in 2 minutes.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Apple has always been like this with iPods, so it doesn't surprise me at all that they do it with iPhones.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Same thing happened to me in mid-March, so I doubt it has anything to do with inventory.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The store I frequent is constantly crowded. They probably are being told to get the iPhone customers in and out as quickly as possible...

8. neven macrumors 6502a

Yup, typical experience unless you run into a wise guy genius.

By the way, they're going to fix the iPhone you handed them and put it back in (refurbished) rotation, so they're not getting rid of an iPhone in this transaction.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I *really* doubt that's the case. If they sell them refurb, they're losing $150 or so by giving out the new model. If it's a simple fix, they'll do it. But I'm guessing the geniuses probably have so much experience with certain problems that they know when it's best to just give out a replacement. I'm kinda hoping I have some sort of warranty-covered issue in about 2 or 3 months when they can only replace it with a 3G model. :)

10. neven macrumors 6502a

Apple will have current-gen iPhones available as replacements for much longer than that. Think a year, at least.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Did I say they were getting a new model?

Replacements will be the exact model you bring in. I heard of some that brought in 4 Gig models and got the 8 as the stores didn't have any of the 4's in at the time.

The store I frequent I saw someone walk in with a phone and the guy just went in back to get her a replacement - no testing or anything... she was in and out in under 5 minutes (they did keep the "white box" because all she gave them was her broken phone).

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well I figure they would get the exact same phone, but in a few months I doubt there will be any EDGE phones left (there aren't many right now). I doubt my phone will have any problems, but I'd just *hate* for it to melt on its own and for Apple to give me some crappy 3G model because they don't have any more of the first generation models. :)