Erase All content and Setting enforcing to upgrade Ios version.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by round360, Oct 20, 2010.

1. round360 macrumors newbie

I have iPhone 4 with ios4.01 which was jail broken and unlocked.
    After I have selected "Erase All content and Setting" option phone is not booting up, stuck with apple logo. Now iTunes suggest to upgrade to the latest version 4.1. Is there a way I can still hold to 4.01?

I would appreciate your help on this.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And what did you expect the erase all to do?
    It also erases the iOS.
    Im not 100% but maybe if you have Tinyumbrella running in the back by clicking start TSS server it might maintain your baseband and just upgrade to the 4.1 OS thru itunes.
    Then again use TU to kick device out of recovery when done and JB after and unlock it using ultrasnow from cydia.

3. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Erase all content and settings doesn't work out well if your phone is jailbroken I learned that the hard way.. If you have an iPhone 4 try what applejuiced said.

But if the phone isn't jailbroken in actually works out fine, it just resets the phone to original settings, deletes everything, but keeps you on the same os

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, actually even if the phone is stock it deletes everything including the OS and it needs a restore thru itunes.

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Have you tried using Pwnage Tool for Mac? You should be able to use it to create custom firmware off Apple's iOS 4.1. You'll get the 4.1 upgrade and keep the old baseband/bootrom. Then you follow the directions to put it in DFU mode & in iTunes you'd hold the option key down when you click the restore button, which will give you the option to select the custom firmware that Pwnage Tool just made.

It's definitely worth a shot. Otherwise, ur unlock is *toast* til the new unlock is released for the 05.14.02 baseband. Good luck!

6. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I've done it a few times man, the only time ive had to restore was when it was jailbroken and got stuck on the apple. I posted that question about it. Other than that, when ever I get a used phone on an unlockable iOS I always erase and it keeps the old iOS.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yours must be the only iPhone in the world then that when u hit erase all content doesn't need a restore. Research a little about the function you're claiming. It's not suppose to do what you think or say you done.

8. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Lol, I don't need to do research I'm talking from experience

9. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I saw this topic came up a couple times, so I did a research and this is inside apple's iphone4 user manual, page 197-198.

10. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Right, it deletes everything and you have to activate it with iTunes and a sim card, but you don't need to restore. If you needed to restore then there wouldnt really be a point of erase all content and settings.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    Try it and see if it just needs to activate. The os is also deleted.

12. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I have tried it a bunch of times, if the phone isn't jailbroken then I just activated and it was done. If you really want I can make a video next time I have a phone below 4.1 with no jailbreak. Theres probably a few on youtube already to.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible. That is not how it works.
    You don't just hit erase all and just activate after without a restore.
    Take a video while learning how to do it:D

14. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

...ok, question, have you tried it?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Yes , I have, last time was 2 days ago with an iPhone 4, I needed to erase everything on there and jailbreak/unlock it therefore keep in on 4.0.2. If the whole thing was just a hallucination then the phone wouldn't still be on 4.0.2.

And if it didnt work the first time then why did you do it anymore after that ?:confused:

17. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Just to be clear, you are talking about settings-general-reset-erase all content and settings right?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Erase all content and settings.
    I'm gonna leave it like this. If u want to insist and argue over something that's been that way for years go for it. I just hope noone actually buys it and get stuck that's all.

19. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I don't want anyone to get stuck either, but its simply not true that you have to restore with itunes after erasing all settings and content UNLESS the phone is jailbroken.

But you're right, theres no point in arguing because its not going to get anywhere, I have a non jailbroken 3g that ill be more than happy to reset with that method and record it. Ill upload it to youtube and post the link probably sometime tonight or tomorrow after i'm done studying.

20. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Heres your proof :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA78rMlBalI

21. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

No thoughts on this from all the peeps who claim it erases the iOS?:rolleyes:

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9 out of 10 times it will kick the phone into DFU restore mode.
    After you select "Erase All Contents and Settings" your iPhone no longer has an operating system on it. It forces your iPhone into DFU mode (most of the time) and you must plug it into iTunes to complete the process.
    It touches the media partition; however, I've been in the boat once too many times where it gets stuck on the Apple logo and kicks into DFU mode.
    Read up on it: http://www.google.com/search?q=what...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

23. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Well I've done this on atleast 5 different nonjailbroken iPhones and I've never had to restore.

I'm a stats major, the probability of me getting lucky all 5 times based on a 1/10 chance is (1/10)^5=.00001 or .001% chance

So either I'm insanely lucky, or you got this one wrong bro.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I tried it mostly on JB iphones and on a few stock phones it also got stuck on restore mode. You're probably right though.

25. ajayguptab macrumors newbie

Need detailed help

Hi Applejuiced,

I am facing the same problem, I have an iphone 4 with 4.0.1 jail-broken and unlocked. unfortunately my cousin hit the erase all settings button and my phone is stuck on apple logo. It gives 3194 error if I try with pwanage tool's custom 4.1 or original 4.0.1 software. I need you to explain me in detailed steps how I can use Tinyumbrella and get out of this situation. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks,
    -Ajay
    ajaygupta.b@gmail.com
    +919886990313