Erase all Content and Settings on JB iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Macintosh1984, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Macintosh1984 macrumors regular

Hi!

I replaced my broken iPhone at an Apple Store. My iPhone was jailbroken and I did "Erase all Content and Settings" but the phone on reboot got stuck on the Apple logo and the process was not completed. I handed my iPhone anywayay, do you think that the contents have been deleted or could still retrieve them? The iPhone still had the 4-digit code enabled. There was nothing secret, only a few family photos, my address book, some message, etc.,

Do you think that everything has been deleted? Although the data has not been deleted, since the iPhone was not restarted more, they will only be obliged to Restore, so they are not able to access any data not deleted, and Restoring, the data will be deleted surely?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Erasing and restoring a jailbroken iPhone running iOS 6/7/8 does nothing except put your phone into an unrecoverable bootloop that necessitates an upgrade/restore.

Your data is probably still on the phone. Will they retrieve it? Probably not. Could they if they wanted to? Probably. Most likely your phone has already been wiped and passed along to wherever they send phones to be refurbed.

Tip for the future: put your phone in DFU mode and restore using iTunes.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, what he said.
    What you did is a big nono on jb devices.
    It's stuck and needs a restore so most likely all your info will be wiped when restored.

4. Macintosh1984, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I know the Restore in DFU, I just thought that my iPhone was repaired right away, instead was replaced, so then I was able to perform only the operation of "Erase all Content and Settings".

I realized that if they make the Restore, the data will be deleted, the question is, before making Restore, can access some content still remained, or the stuck on the Apple logo requires only the Restore because in that state you can not access the contents of your phone although it is Jailbroken? And then, the 4-digit code does not encrypt the contents?

I would understand, in the end, what's done is done.

Do you know how Apple Store works? Restore iPhone before send it out?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Your data is gone. You handed over the phone and got a brand new one. Apple is not in the habit of data mining the phones their customers turn over to them, collecting it, compiling it and then storing it away for God knows what. Apple doesn't care what's on the phone when you give it to them because they are going to wipe it anyway.

They wipe the phone with whatever industry grade tools they have that no common customer ever has access to. The phone then goes to wherever refurbs go. If the logicboard is good, it gets reprogrammed, a new IMEI, new MAC addresses, everything. There's no way your data is going to survive any of that.

Another future tip. If they offer a repair/replacement…come back the next day.

I went in for a lightning cable once and the genius noticed my battery was swelling and offered to replace the phone right then. I had no backup and my phone was jailbroken. I told her, I would come back the next day. Which gave me time to properly backup and restore the phone as new.

6. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Well... I would like to learn something that I did not understand, with the reboot stuck on the Apple logo cancellation there was or not? The block will force the Restore, or no way to restart the phone without Restore? The 4-digit code does not encrypt the data?

7. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

The date were gone, wiped clean, before the final reboot, so I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Since the wipe bar is stuck at the beginning with the Apple logo, do you think he still worked in the cancellation or destroyed the structure of the file system while still making the data unrecoverable and unusable on the device?