Erase All Content and Settings Question

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by touchipods, Nov 4, 2012.

1. touchipods macrumors regular

Knowing I can't restore and set up as new iPod on iTunes without it converting to 6.X, thinking of going to the Settings-Reset on the touch and tap "Erase All Content and Settings" option. However my touch automatically downloaded 6.0.1 but did not install yet. So if I erase all content will it show up as 6.0.1 or 5.1.1 (which I'm currently at)?

A video example:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Also, when prompted to install it next time around just hit "later" It won't update until you tell it to.

3. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. Just curious how you know for sure? Prior experience?

Yeah 6.0.1 (and 6.0) downloaded automatically on my touch even though I never clicked download or install (like it says when you connect to iTunes). It just says new update available and you can tap 'close' or 'more details' only.

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I have an iPad 2 that I've kept on 5.1.1. Definitely from experience.

5. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thank you. I'm going to erase all content and settings sometime within the week.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

An FYI for the OP. I recently did an erase and reset for my iPad 2 which is still running iOS 5.1.1 and after I set it up iOS 6 began to download and it took up about 1.7GB. So I had 2.1GB used with no apps installed. It dropped back down to 1.3GB used after a few days.

So last night I did another erase and reset. This time I did not allow the iPad to communicate with the server. So this morning I turned on the wifi and my iPad 2. I checked for an update and this time it said that iOS 6.0.1 was available and ready for download and asked me if I wanted to download and install it.

I backed out and it so far it hasn't downloaded anything. So that could be a small glitch on how to acknowledge an update but not have it download and be ready to install on your device. :)

7. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. Did it immediately start downloading? Well I was actually going to erase all content and settings twice anyways. One to obviously erase and the second time to make sure no unnecessary files get left behind or corrupt.

What I'm going to do is charge it up to 100% then reset. After it is finished, do another reset immediately. After that I will play around with it and see if 6.0.1 starts downloading.

Also when it finishes restoring and shows the 'Welcome' screen, can't you disable Wifi? That is what I'll do.

8. Templar33 macrumors newbie

issues with iPad 4 & newest iOS & old iPods, etc.

1st, I realize I am not the brightest bulb on the string.
    I could use your comments or instructions about what to do, please!

Because I just bought a NEW iPad 4, I thought it wise to updat my iTunes to version 10 on my SONY VIO VISTA OS to D/L for this iPad 4 to use APPS, etc. I noticed that now I have lost all my stuff. For example, I had in pervious iTunes version ie., Music Videos, etc.
    1.) Is there anything I can do about losing my stuff now?

I also have an iTouch which still has these Music Videos, etc. on it.

I also have a 2006 iMac 10.4.11 which uses iTunes version 9.2 (under a different email & password) which has a "TON" previously purchased Music Videos, etc. from iTunes. These items I can not afford to lose!
    I have (2) iPods which use these items.
    2.) How can I migrate these items to my iPad 4 or iTouch which uses different versions iOS & iTunes?

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

No it did not download iOS 6 automatically. I just tried it again and make sure you turn off wifi and if you have 4G turn that off as well after you setup the device as new. Then turn ON wifi and manually go out and check for updates. You should get a message that iOS 6.0.1 is available do you want to download and install. Back out of that screen and you should be good after that.

It will still go out to the server and download additional files for the iPad but that is normal. That usually is an additional 200-300MB worth of data files.

10. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Great and thanks for all the help! :)

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hope it works for you, let me know if it does. :)