Erase all content and settings reactivated my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quaterbyadime, Jun 28, 2010.

1. quaterbyadime macrumors newbie

I received a text on my iphone 4 and when I opened up sms, I wanted to delete that msg, but for some reason... it wouldn't allow me to delete it and it was stuck on the page where you have to reply back. I didn't want to reply back, but just simply delete the msg.

It was stuck at the reply section so I went to "Reset" then "Erase all content and settings." I Thought this would just erase my data, but instead it erased everything and went back to stock like when you first received the phone. The screen showed no network and was on the "Plug to itunes" image.

After I plugged back to itunes it showed that my iphone was activated.

I was wondering is this normal? Even if I deleted my data, shouldn't it still have service?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Erasing all conent and settings is like formatting a hard drive and reinstalling the OS. Doesn't it even warn you that you'll lose everything before you do it?

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Your phone states its activated because you have a SIM card in the phone that registered on the network.