Erase All Content and Settings vs Restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jun 23, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I've searched. I see people adamantly stating they would restore as new. But my question is... why? Does Erase All Content and Settings do the same thing? If not - what's different/better about restore.

Considering I JUST did a backup and don't *think* I need to do another - could I just do the Erase All Content and Settings.

Another reason I'm asking is because I am considering getting an iPhone 4 and don't want to be without my 3GS. I might do the Best Buy or RS trade in - but wouldn't want to do that unless I knew I was getting a phone then as well. So I was hoping I could just (at the store) click on the Erase All Content and Settings and then hand over the phone

thoughts? safety? security?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Pretty sure they do the same thing, but the former takes much longer than doing a restore via iTunes.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

Erase all content can take 2 hours. I don't know if either is better though.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

so it's more of a time convenience vs anything else?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restore and setup as new does just that. RESTORES the phone and then allows you to set it up with just the OS. You can then sync if you want.

Erase all does just what it says. ERASES EVERYTHING. It does not install the OS. You'd have to restore it then to get it to work. So, why do it, if you intend to use the phone. Also, in some cases, people have been unable to restore the phone afterwards (usually after a jailbreak though; can't be sure if the users don't know how to restore though).

If you hand it to Apple, then by all means do an Erase All.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Ok - so if I'm handing it to BB or RS (or even Apple) - erase all is fine then? Is that right? Because I care less about the immediate usability vs making sure the phone is wiped clean.

7. sjn419 macrumors regular

Im returning a 3gs i bought 2 weeks ago when i pick up my i4, which should I do to clear my phone and when?