Erase all content and settings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Jul 4, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I may be getting my 3GS replaced at an Apple Store tomorrow. I was thinking of doing an "erase all content and settings" prior to my visit. My problem with my phone is slow wifi. I'm going to have the genius compare my phone to one in-store. If mine is faulty I'm going to have them replace it.

So if I erase all content and settings, will my phone be operational? Or will I have to reactivate it in iTunes?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

They do erase the phone at the Apple Store so you don't need to worry about erasing it beforehand.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've heard the process can take hours. Is that just on the older phones? How long would it take on a 32 gb 3GS?

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First, NO. If you do the "erase" you will have to reactivate it with iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone to use or restore it from a backup to use the iPhone.

There is also a risk to doing the erase before you visit the store. If your problem is related to anything that would be logged in the iPhone, it would be lost by your "erase". You can always start the "erase" after the Genius agrees to swap the iPhone. Once it is started, it can't be interrupted without it restarting.

Dave

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Not last time I restored my phone, the only thing that would take a couple hours is maybe syncing all of your data back onto the phone if you have 32GB of music and videos, not erasing it.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, it takes hours to complete. Please see my previous post and consider waiting. What problem are you having and have you made an appointment Online?

Dave

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, the OP is talking about a "Secure Erase" using the "Erase All Contents and Settings", not a simple restore.

Dave

8. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow afternoon that I made online. My problem is that my wifi download speeds are nowhere near what they should be. Using the speedtest.net app and reporting results in Mbps, I only get 0.3 - 0.7 Mbps down. My circuit is 3.0 Mbps AT&T. All other wifi gear in my house reports about 2.8 Mbps down (speedtest.net website hitting the sa
    e server.). So I think something is wrong with the wifi on this phone. I'm hoping to have the Genius connect my phone up to the stores wifi and test speed alongside an in-store phone to see if there is a big difference.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A secure erase does take a couple of hours, but I still don't see the point in waiting. Once you see the Apple logo on the screen, the erase is happening and isn't stopping till it's done or the battery runs out (though if you come in fully charged, that shouldn't happen).