Erase all Content and settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ozzyman500, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

What exactly does this do? Does it just pretty much wipe ALL your data off your phone? Is this the most secure way of deleting everything?? Reason I ask is because even though I don't want to I might plan on selling my 16GB/3G to cover the cost of my 3Gs. If I do this will the person that bought it be able to use it as an iPod touch or phone/jailbreak or whatever and unlock? I am clueless about this option please help me and fill me in.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It ... wait for it .. erases all content and settings, which I find weird considering.

3. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay...I was just asking a question to see if it is the safest way before selling it.

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Yes, erases all data securely. Don't forget to take the SIM card out afterwards, too. Doesn't really matter if the buyer uses it as an iPod touch or jailbreak it because by that point, there will be no personal data of yours still on the phone.

5. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, AT&T actually gave me a "dummy" SIM so I'm okay. So I don't have to plug it into iTunes after I get the emergency screen up?

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes. Once you get the connect to iTunes Screen. Put the dummy sim card in it, and plug it into iTunes. You could just use your active sim, and the remove it.

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Before I sold my IPT thats what I did. Takes 2 hours though.

8. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Apple lied and it actually phones home with all contact info....

comon people, use your heads

9. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't take 2 hours for me...

What's with everyone being rude? This is my first "cycle" with iPhones as I just got the 3Gs and was wondering the safest way to sell my other one.