Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
What exactly does this do? Does it just pretty much wipe ALL your data off your phone? Is this the most secure way of deleting everything?? Reason I ask is because even though I don't want to I might plan on selling my 16GB/3G to cover the cost of my 3Gs. If I do this will the person that bought it be able to use it as an iPod touch or phone/jailbreak or whatever and unlock? I am clueless about this option please help me and fill me in.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It ... wait for it .. erases all content and settings, which I find weird considering.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
What exactly does this do? Does it just pretty much wipe ALL your data off your phone? Is this the most secure way of deleting everything?? Reason I ask is because even though I don't want to I might plan on selling my 16GB/3G to cover the cost of my 3Gs. If I do this will the person that bought it be able to use it as an iPod touch or phone/jailbreak or whatever and unlock? I am clueless about this option please help me and fill me in.

Yes, erases all data securely. Don't forget to take the SIM card out afterwards, too. Doesn't really matter if the buyer uses it as an iPod touch or jailbreak it because by that point, there will be no personal data of yours still on the phone.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Yes, erases all data securely. Don't forget to take the SIM card out afterwards, too. Doesn't really matter if the buyer uses it as an iPod touch or jailbreak it because by that point, there will be no personal data of yours still on the phone.

Alright, AT&T actually gave me a "dummy" SIM so I'm okay. So I don't have to plug it into iTunes after I get the emergency screen up?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Apple lied and it actually phones home with all contact info....

comon people, use your heads

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Before I sold my IPT thats what I did. Takes 2 hours though.

Didn't take 2 hours for me...

Apple lied and it actually phones home with all contact info....

comon people, use your heads

What's with everyone being rude? This is my first "cycle" with iPhones as I just got the 3Gs and was wondering the safest way to sell my other one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.