Erase all content and settings

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by painter28, Mar 25, 2010.

1. painter28 macrumors newbie

I am going to sell my phone and would like to know if i do a "erase all contents and settings" will that reset the phone usage time back to "0" as if the phone was never used? The person who is going to by it said that he can see how long the phone has been used? I would like it to appear as though the phone has never been used and talked on?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

If you want to jailbreak/unlock the phone (or if the buyer wishes to), DO NOT do this. It will erase the phone's OS and you will be forced to upgrade to stock 3.1.3, which unless it's a 2G will be very difficult or impossible to jb/ul.

3. painter28 thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 32G 3gs

I am confused the version i have on it already is 3.1.3. I just want to erase the data as to make it seem as the the usage on the phone is back to zero. the buyer is going to use att

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

In that case personally I would just restore back to 3.1.3 and set up as a new phone.

5. painter28 thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 32G 3gs

does not "erase all contents and settings do that though?"

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. painter28 thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 32G 3gs

How does one check to make that phone has not been used then, i can not even find the setting? This will reset "call time" under "usage setting"

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yes it will do this. Restoring as a new phone will let you go into the phone's settings etc and make sure there is nothing left.

9. painter28 thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 32G 3gs

I want "usage" under "general" to have "0" in the call time,time since last full charge etc.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Erase all content and settings erases everything including the OS so you will still need to restore the phone when it is finished.

You might as well just save a step and time and just restore as a new phone.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you can even get it to restore after the "erase all." I only do that when I'm handing the phone back to Apple to get a new one.