Erase all content question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoShoreGuy, Jun 22, 2010.

1. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm selling my iphone today, need to know roughly how long it takes to erase all content...meeting the person at lunch time, just wanted to know roughly how long this takes???

Thanks!

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

if its a 3GS it takes like 2 mins, if its an original or 3G its like 2hrs per 8GB so a 16GB one would be 4hrs, thats if you use the 'erase all content and settings' in the setting of the iphone.

google 'erase all content iphone' and go to the cache of the first link for more info

3. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, if I erased all content now, and then when I met the person he decided he didn't want it I could restore it all by syncing to itunes correct???

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just restore it and setup as new. Don't erase all. I wouldn't buy it from you if you brought it to me that way, since there's no guarantee you can restore it after and also I'd have no idea if it even worked properly.

5. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Click restore in iTunes, under the Summary, in the Version area.

7. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks, but will this erase all my content that is on my phone in itunes? I'm getting my new iphone on Thursday and want to sync it up with my old apps and pics and stuff...

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

if its a 3GS and not jailbroken I would do the erase all content in the settings menu, then after it has finished connect it to itunes and set it up as new so it is working but blank with none of your details on it,
    I would also do this if it is an original or a 3G doing the 'erase all content' is the only way on a 2G and a 3G to make sure that all content is securely erased,

if the person then didnt want it you can then just conect it back to your itunes and restore as a backup

9. yegon macrumors 68020

I'm selling my 3G to a mate on the same carrier, o2.

Is this right? I erase everything while its not connected to itunes, then sign out of iTunes and connect the iphone, and select restore to factory settings as a new phone, my backup will remain intact, while the phone is ready to go as new.

Currently os4, not jail broken by the way.

10. Khurram macrumors 6502

I'm selling my 3gs tomorrow.

It's 3.13 unlocked and jailbroken. I'm
    selling it as unlocked.

What's the best way to go about erasing all my data?
    If I do a restore won't it force me to upgrade to iOS4 which cannot be unlocked at this time.

If I do erase all settings then I lose my cydia and unlock which I could then just jailbreak again an unlock through ultrasnow 0.93 correct?

11. androiphone macrumors 65816

yes it should keep your backup, but to be 100% sure just temporarily make a copy of the backup to somewhere else on your computer it will be somewhere in the music>itunes folder, then if it were deleted or changed then just copy the copy back into the backup folder replacing the changed one

12. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I am wondering that too! Any answers to this? If you erase all, does it basically gives you a refresh 3.1.3 or does it make you upgrade to ios4?

13. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I would also like to know this as well. I don't want to upgrade to 4.0, but I would like to erase and sell as unloked and jailbroken. I have done some research and it looks like I should erase settings/content (3G, so it will take awhile), set up as new phone, jb/unlock. Correct?