Erase all files on MBP and keep lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by knicksplayer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. knicksplayer macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am planning to sell my MacBook Pro (latest generation) on eBay and want to know what is the best way to erase all files AND keep lion that I installed yesterday (my thinking is that it will look more attractive on eBay if I say it runs with lion).

I am selling my MacBook Pro because I absolutely fell in love with the new MacBook Air with the return of the lite-up keyboard and the faster performances.

Any help is much appreciated! :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Do a clean install of Lion, problem solved. Google or search here how to copy the Lion installer onto either a DVD or USB flash drive to do the clean install.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Open up System Preference (what it's called in SL they may have changed it in Lion) and then open up Accounts. Create a new account with Administrative privileges. Then delete the older/existing accounts. That will get rid of all your files and information, emails.... so that all your personal info and data get removed from the computer. This should also clear up space on the hard drive

4. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

This seems like the easiest question, thanks so much. Won't creating an admin account BEFORE I delete my current keep all the current files and give the other admin login the permission to access them?

5. lcdonnelly macrumors newbie

Sort of, when you are on the new users account, it will give you the option to either keep or delete the users home folder, in your case, you would click delete. Simple as.

6. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for everyone's help, looks like my MacBook Pro's gonna hit eBay soon!

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You can have more than one Administrator accounts - just means that user has privileges. Also, when you create the new Administrator account (which is safer to do before you delete other accounts) you have the option of creating a password or leave it blank. Leaving it blank is best but if not then you must let the buyer know the new password, like 1234. When I sold my 13" MBP last year I left it blank and the new account was named "New User".